Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it's happened a few times now. Riding with headlight on and the engine dies. Coast to stop...no electric start, nothing. It kicks over if I try. Turn off headlights, turn ignition key off then back on and presto...electronic start fires it right up. Never happens when riding with headlights off. Bike has new battery, kohler regulator/rectifier. Haven't yet combined the two stator wires together as has been suggested elsewhere. Not sure why turning the ignition on and off would reset the problem. I'm fairly ignorant of electronics though so any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Sounds like a problem in the switch.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
He is... the contacts in the ignition switch can get corroded over the years. Sometimes if you just work the switch on and off a bunch it clears up, but usually it requires the back of the switch removed and the contacts cleaned. There are "tabs" of housing metal that are bent in to retain the back of the switch where the wires are soldered to the contacts inside, and when bent outward away from the switch back it will come apart easily

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He is... the contacts in the ignition switch can get corroded over the years. Sometimes if you just work the switch on and off a bunch it clears up, but usually it requires the back of the switch removed and the contacts cleaned. There are "tabs" of housing metal that are bent in to retain the back of the switch where the wires are soldered to the contacts inside, and when bent outward away from the switch back it will come apart easily
Awesome. I'll look at it and see if I can tweek it.

T

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Still dying. Now the delay from it dying to being able to start it back up is getting longer. After it quits the electric ignition does not turn the starter at all...no sound. After around 10-20 sec it starts working again. Just bought a multimeter to test electrical...where should I start and?

T

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Think its stock. Forgot to mention that the last time it died I had the headlight off...seems to be getting worse.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You were bang on. It completely quit on me...no power at all. Took off the key switch, tore it apart and gave the copper contacts some fine sandpaper, put it back together and presto. All sorted. Thanks very much again for steering me straight.

T

1 - 9 of 9 Posts