Honda Twins banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on the wiring for a cafe project that's mostly a CB350. I'm pretty new to this stuff, but I understand the basics.

I found a CB77 headlight/speedo/tach that looks and works great so I want to use it. I noticed the headlight bucket has a light switch knob on the top and got the idea to use this as an ignition switch (Off/All on). But I'd want an "on" without the headlight running all the time so I figured I could replace the stock switch with a 4 way rotary switch. I'm thinking Off/On/Headlights/High Beam. Is this possible? Can anyone point me in the right direction? I've found a few 4 way switches on ebay that I could fit into the bucket but I really don't know what to look for in terms of functionality.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I do not get it. Ignition switch on includes ignition coil, turn signals & brake light. So, what is 'on' for with the rotary switch? I see headlight and tail light in headlight low position & headlight high and tail light in high beam position. So, rotary switch is off, headlight low & headlight high beam, Three position switch. Or, am I missing something (it is late, I am tired).

As for wiring, no problem. You need a two stack rotary switch with one stack for both low beam & high beam switch positions on switch wired together for tail light. And, other stack on switch selecting either low beam or high beam headlight. You could use a single stack with two diodes coming off of low & high beam headlight position wired to the tail light. The diodes act as a one way switch so you can get voltage in both headlight low or high beam always feeding the tail light, but isolating the low from high beam for the headlight. 3 amp 1N4004 diode works well, about 10 cents each.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies! I know it's a little goofy. You pretty much nailed it.
To explain a little more: I want a 4 position dial switch to control the ignition and light controls. So 1st position is off. 2nd position would be the same as having the ignition keyed "on" without any headlights. 3rd would turn the low headlight on in addition to everything else, and 4th would switch the low beam to high.

That's a good point about the tach drive.. I hadn't considered that. That might kill this idea for me. I really want a headlight bucket that contains both the speedo and tach but the only other Honda bucket I know of that has both are the early CB450s and those don't look cheap...

·
Registered
9,797 Posts
My old BSA 250 had an ignition switch (key) in the center of the light switch for low and high in the center of the headlight bucket. Something like that?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Found a single stack 4 position switch so I thought I'd give it a try. I wired it up and it's not QUITE doing what I want when I test with the headlight. Here's what I have so far: Wire Electrical wiring Electrical network Electrical supply Cable
When I wire the black (everything but headlight) wires up together, (I think) they're shorting and undoing the separation caused by the different switch positions. Is this where I'd want to use a diode as Oldgeezer suggested?

Simo: I appreciate the suggestions but this isn't going to be my main bike and I don't plan on ever riding it at night. I'll remember that if I ever change my mind though. I tested the tach on my CL450 and it worked!

dtsmjr8dan: sort of, but I'm thinking keyless for now.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
The cb77 has the tach drive on the left of the cam, the cb350 has it on the right, will the drive be going n the correct direction ?
Folks, I know that this a bit late in the game, but I just saw this, while looking to see what I had missed out on, while not being on here much, over time. And I would just like to say that, back when I was stationed over in Northern Japan, I had bought a 1966 CB72 Hawk & I wanted to change it up a bit and one of the changes I made, was to get a headlight & a set of gauges that were for the CB350, that had not been out long at all and swapped out the stock units, for the CB350 setup and the tach & speedometer operated in the right direction (I can't say that they were comparably accurate, but it worked out and I never got in trouble for speeding. LOL ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.