Honda Twins banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed new dunstall-replica emgo mufflers. I had to repack them because the stock fiberglass was hilariously thin and ragged, and now they sound great. Only issue is that they leak at the joint where they connect to the headers. How have you all sealed that up if you had a similar problem? I read one option is exhaust wrap but I dont want to spend $$$ on a whole roll...

·
Registered
756 Posts
I've used exhaust wrap, but if you don't want to buy a whole roll you could try exhaust patch kits (although I don't think it would be that much cheaper). You could use JB Weld or something similar, but that would make removing a PITA. There's always the cut-up-an-aluminum-can-and-wrap it technique.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I cut up a strip of brass shim stock. Lasted a couple years then removed it and repaired the area with brazing. You dont say why its leaking? maybe we can help.

Bill

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bill, the mufflers came with reducer sleeves to fit them to the 1.5" headers. They just don't seal correctly... there's a gap allowing for expansion/contraction in the sleeve and it lets exhaust out.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I filled those gaps with JB Weld on my CM, it held the leaks in just fine after that. I never needed to remove the mufflers though.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I had the same problem with the Emgo megaphones. I found some correct exhaust seals on Amazon > CALTRIC Exhaust Muffler Gasket Fits HONDA 18392-MK4-000, 18391-383-670, 18391-317-010. Perfect fit and the exhaust is now sealed!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Flycast, those gaskets look far too thick. The reducer I'm using is made from very thin sheet metal, probably 1/32", and only one is enough to fit the headers to the muffler. How thick is that graphite?

·
Registered
74 Posts
On my ‘71 CB350K3 they fit the OD of the header and the ID of the Emgo muffler. I was able to secure them with the Emgo supplied clamps. I estimate that they are 4 - 5 mm thick.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just got back to my bike today and found that the opening on my dunstall replicas are far too small for that sort of graphite joint. Its ID is probably 2mm larger than the OD of the header pipes. I found that the exhaust was escaping through the gap in the reducer sleeve that allows for expansion/contraction. I filled that gap up with a little JB weld and all seems better.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts