Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my bike running today. It ran fine, except a bit of roughness over half an hour. But there was smoke. My father-in-law thinks its just gunk because the bikes been out all winter. I thought it was more. When I turned it off, I noticed some oil running near the area in the picture. I figure its new head gasket time. The previous owner said he replaced it. I don't think that's the case.

Attachments

·
Sensei
27,161 Posts
The area you showed is the rocker cover gasket area... (Valve cover, whatever) NOT the head gasket..... An easy fix....

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I guess need t learn my lingo better. I was hoping it will be easy. Onward and upward!

·
Registered
32 Posts
While you've got the valve cover off to replace the gasket, you might want to adjust the valve clearances and re-torque the head bolts.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My father-in-law (FIL)has suggested doing the valves. I still need to get a torque wrench. The FIL doesn't believe in them. He likes to do things by 'feel'. The problem for me is i have no idea what 25lbs 'feels' like!

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Pay special attention to your torque ratings and be sure to verify if they're in INCH POUNDS, FOOT POUNDS, or NEWTON METERS.

I'm sure you know this but I thought it was worth mentioning..

GB :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
seanmalcolmson said:
My father-in-law (FIL)has suggested doing the valves. I still need to get a torque wrench. The FIL doesn't believe in them. He likes to do things by 'feel'. The problem for me is i have no idea what 25lbs 'feels' like!
Now the trick it telling the FIL that he's nuts to do things by feel! ;)

Seriously get the wrench, it's the best money you can spend. Aluminum is far to fragile to do things by feel. Your bones are too brittle to do things by feel.

BTW the valve cover bolts are only torqued to 6-9lbs. They will snap at 16lbs. I know. I misread the scale and "snap." The only good thing was that the cover didn't crack too. :oops:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts