Honda Twins banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im got the head off my bike to do the head gasket, and figured i would take this time to paint it. would i be able to just submerge the whole head (valves still inside) in some sort of cleaner/degreaser or would that damage o rings or seals or anything? bike was running well so i really don't want to do anything with valves and torsion bars.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Read the container the degreaser is in & see what it says about rubber & plastic.

As far as I know MOST common engine degreaser won't hurt rubber/plastic .
If it did it couldn't be used on a car engine still in the car !
Lots of rubber/plastic under a hood !!!

If the head is off why not just wash it clean?

I've used "Soft Scrub" [used in the house] & some small burshes [including old toothbrush] to clean engines before painting them & the paint never peeled or otherwise just went away.

·
Premium Member
7,864 Posts
not for nothing' but I wouldn't clean any internal engine components without complete disassembly. I view engine internals the same as I would operating inside a human body. I even have a seperate set of tools I keep super clean and use only for engine internals.

If I can't completely be sure any debri that washes loose can't find it's way into the motor, I leave it alone. How can you be sure crud doesn't get caught in the spring coils or under the valve seals and then cause trouble later.

The only cleaning I ever do with the valves still in the head is beadblasting the combustion area (you leave the valves in for this process to protect the valve seats and guides from the blast media). then I completely dissassemble, clean and dry.

My philosophy is; if i's dirty enough to warrant cleaning then it should be dissassembled and done properly. If it's not that bad then leave it alone so you don't cause more trouble.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sound advice. noted and taken. thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts