Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
CB450s 1986 Noise from clutch housing

Hi, Recently there is a noise (bearing type screeching) emitting from the clutch housing. Not a constant screech but the more at higher revs! Pull the clutch leaver in and the noise stops. It happens in all gears, but does not affect the bikes performance! So I recon somethings broken or about to break? anybody got any ideas before I go to work on it?
Problem solved
At a suggestion from a friend I took off the cover on the sprocket! The small dog toothed washer holding the sprocket in the correct position had lost all its teeth, allowing the sprocket to slide in and out along the drive splines! I must have ****ed up putting it back on when changing the chain and not rotated the washer before bolting it onto the sprocket! 5 euro part, 30 days of thinking too hard and saving for a new clutch/ clutch bearing! Happy days no funny expensive noises!!

Busby
Recently found out this clutch release bearing fits the 450 nighthawk range and a host of other bikes also!
961006000000 B/brg Rad N/com is the reference number. There is only one bearing in the clutch basket, so without taking it apart, I assume it's this thats causing the noise?

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
There's 4 shaft bearings, 2 on each side, plus the release bearing. Haven't heard of this problem before so it'll be an inspection to determine the cause

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, Yes, Ive seen the bearings on the pictures! I cannot think its the release bearing as the noise stops when the clutch leaver is pulled in? Or maybe it is? Oh well, its going to wait until the next oil change, as Ive only just changed it some 200k's ago!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Problem solved
At a suggestion from a friend I took the crankcase cover off. On the sprocket! the small dog toothed washer holding the sprocket in the correct position had lost all its teeth, allowing the sprocket to slide in and out along the drive splines! I must have ****ed up putting it back on when changing the chain and not rotated the washer before bolting it onto the sprocket! 5 euro part, 30 days of thinking too hard and saving for a new clutch/ clutch bearing! Happy days no funny expensive noises!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts