Honda Twins banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Can anyone help me out? I don't know if this is just me hearing things, but I feel like the throttle is staying for a little after it snaps back. It just sounds different than before.

Also can anyone diagnose what that ticking noise is and if its dangerous to ride it. I don't want to ruin anything on the engine. Should it be opened up and inspected?

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Your idle sounds uneven as if one cylinder is not running quite as fast as the other, and I'd check the valve adjustments - sounds like one is ticking pretty loudly. Be sure to check them on the proper stroke (TDC on compression stroke for each cylinder, one at a time, first left then right, when STONE COLD after sitting overnight - .002" for intake, .004" for exhaust). I wouldn't call it dangerous to ride, but I'd do it soon before running it much more to avoid any potential for damage.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your idle sounds uneven as if one cylinder is not running quite as fast as the other, and I'd check the valve adjustments - sounds like one is ticking pretty loudly. Be sure to check them on the proper stroke (TDC on compression stroke for each cylinder, one at a time, first left then right, when STONE COLD after sitting overnight - .002" for intake, .004" for exhaust). I wouldn't call it dangerous to ride, but I'd do it soon before running it much more to avoid any potential for damage.
Thanks for the reply. Thing is that i have adjusted valves on the compression stroke. I can do it again just to make sure. Should it even be ticking at all?

·
Registered
9,797 Posts
Sounds like you need to check the valve gaps again, as Tom suggested. Those bikes are 180* apart, so make sure you are on the compression stroke. When you do, you just have to watch the intake arms. When the arm is rising on one cylinder, continue turning the engine counter clockwise until your 'T' mark on the rotor is lined up. When you're setting each one, you should feel a slight drag on the gauge.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
A light ticking is normal, but it should be subtle - not as loud as yours sounds. Something I did not mention (should have) and it could have a part in it - the little marks on the ends of eccentric shafts (at the flat screwdriver slot) for the valve adjustments should point outward on each side, the exhausts pointing forward, the intakes pointing backward. If they are pointing in the wrong direction, the eccentric moves the rocker arm too far the opposite direction and proper valve adjustment can't be done.

Auto part Engine Vehicle Car Automotive engine part

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A light ticking is normal, but it should be subtle - not as loud as yours sounds. Something I did not mention (should have) and it could have a part in it - the little marks on the ends of eccentric shafts (at the flat screwdriver slot) for the valve adjustments should point outward on each side, the exhausts pointing forward, the intakes pointing backward. If they are pointing in the wrong direction, the eccentric moves the rocker arm too far the opposite direction and proper valve adjustment can't be done.

View attachment 193730
so i readjusted the valves and unfortunately the sound is still pretty loud. It really doesn't sound any different. I started paying attention more and listened and there is a pop every so often like if its struggling to get fuel. I rebuilt the carbs and adjusted the floats to 23mm and I was pretty certain I did that correctly. I don't know what to think anymore

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
It's possible that one or more of your rocker arms are worn at the surface that rides on the camshaft, and also possible that some of your cam lobes are worn. This could give you a potentially false read on a feeler gauge when adjusting, and not have proper clearance despite you doing it correctly. Were the marks pointing the right direction? If not, they may have been that way for a while and caused improper wear. the only way to confirm any of this, and to correct the issue as well, would be to tear down the top end for inspection and/or replacement/repair of the worn parts. Again, hearing it in person would be the more accurate way of helping find out just how critical the situation is

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's possible that one or more of your rocker arms are worn at the surface that rides on the camshaft, and also possible that some of your cam lobes are worn. This could give you a potentially false read on a feeler gauge when adjusting, and not have proper clearance despite you doing it correctly. Were the marks pointing the right direction? If not, they may have been that way for a while and caused improper wear. the only way to confirm any of this, and to correct the issue as well, would be to tear down the top end for inspection and/or replacement/repair of the worn parts. Again, hearing it in person would be the more accurate way of helping find out just how critical the situation is
Yes, the marks were pointing in the right directions. I'm just going to take it to someone just for peace of mind. Thanks for all the help

·
Registered
1 Posts
I will piggy back off of this thread instead of making a new one.
I am also experiencing a ticking sound from either the valves or timing chain. I am curious to what the cause of your sound was.
Here is a video of what mine sound like. Not as intense as yours though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts