Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all: thought I'd test the waters on this. I bought a boat last spring and haven't been on the bike since. haven't made my mind up yet but wanted to see if anyone here is interested in my "Keeper" bike.

many of you know me and my builds. well this one is the coup de gras. it has NOS just about everything and an outstanding paint job from Marbles motors. I've got around $6k into the bike in NOS parts alone; like the seat and exhaust and most of the motor internals. anyhow if your interested and would like to know more PM me. By the way, it's not a completely true to original restoration... you may have noticed the 69 stripe on the tank and the NOS front fender reflector on the NOS front fender are the much rarer 5 month mid year 68/69 pieces. I put them on because I like them best and was building the bike for me. I've also done some intake port clean up and balancing work on the motor as well as installed an electronic ignition and put a relay on the headlight instead of running the current through the NOS bar controls. so if your truly after a bone stock restoration this isn't it...it was made to be a daily rider built with show quality. that said it would be real quick to put it back to 100% bone stock as delivered from Honda and could be done if a serious buyer asks.

Regards,
John
CB350K0.jpg

Reactions: ashimotok0

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Outobie, tell me it's not so. How can you even think this? Properly perserve it and save it for when you get tired of boating...

·
Premium Member
7,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my garage is overflowing with boat parts which take up a lot more space than bike parts do :(

and I bought a new convertible that I want to stick in the garage...what I really need is a bigger garage but don't have the land to build one on.

I don't really expect anyone would pay what I think the bike is worth so really this listing is more accurately a means to justify me keeping it ;).

but who knows...i do love this bike and don't really mind it sticking around

Reactions: ctrider

·
Premium Member
2,074 Posts
Thats too nice to sell, if you dont have room in the garage for it, find some space in the house
Yeah, just park it in the Bedroom, lol

Reactions: ancientdad

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
my garage is overflowing with boat parts which take up a lot more space than bike parts do :(

and I bought a new convertible that I want to stick in the garage...what I really need is a bigger garage but don't have the land to build one on.

I don't really expect anyone would pay what I think the bike is worth so really this listing is more accurately a means to justify me keeping it ;).

but who knows...i do love this bike and don't really mind it sticking around
Mission accomplished! Now go build a garden shed, make it water tight, put electricity in an and DON'T put anything in there other than your 350 and supporting equipment.

·
Premium Member
7,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it's more of a good bones boat :) it's becoming some boat though. At present it's ripped apart undergoing multiple surgeries. about the only thing I'm not working on are the motors (which I already completed major services on in the spring and are perfect)

current projects are: redoing the head, redoing the fresh water systems, recoring the top deck and adding a windlass with teak pulpit, plumping a wash-down, and building a new electric ram adjustable helm chair on a custom teak base with storage,

I just removed and rebedded all the windows (which were leaking rain water into the bilge).

I like the teak work, am ok with the fiberglass work and absolutely hate the plumbing work :(

Reactions: Bill H and JamesPal

·
Registered
475 Posts
The happiest day of your life is when you get a boat, and the next happiest day is when when you get rid of a boat.:D

Reactions: Quixote

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
The happiest day of your life is when you get a boat, and the next happiest day is when when you get rid of a boat.:D
Yep - one of my oldest friends named his boat "Mi$$ My Money" for good reason. It sat with a blown-up 350 V8 (the 3rd one over a 15 year period) for the last 10 years he owned it before finally giving up and selling it after 25 years total

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I bought my ski boat in 1973 and maintained it for 44 years then sold it. I bought the bass boat in 2002. I keep the bike stored between the boat and garage wall in the winter. I really miss the ski boat and wish I had never sold it. If there is anyway to keep the bike do it.

Bill

·
Registered
521 Posts
Wow ..that will be a real heart wrenching ordeal to part with that John. I am restoring a '69 that has that fender reflector and tank stripe ...does that date it to a particular period ?(it's a '69 I think). Mine was green but I opted for Candy Blue when I had it repainted. mine had one piece pipes when i got it which were really solid and I may have rechromed after small repairs. Do you know if the one piece ones would have been original? I also have a NOS pair of two piece ones that have no stampings.

Here is my 'restorers reference'for the '68 ..

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pa0dpqqtsscqp4d/AADMndCfJq94BCucO1RLnXiqa?dl=0

·
Premium Member
7,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I’ve got a pair of 350 small blocks in the boat. They are 16 years old and run like new. At some point the blocks will rot out from the salt water...then I’ll get new ones...$22K to write a check to have 2 new motors installed or $6k to do it my self.

working in the cramped engine compartment can be a pain but the engines are about the simplest things in the world to work on.

i never worked on any American V8 before... best thing I found compared to aluminum bike engines is that you can scrape gaskets off the cast iron block so easily with out having to worry about damaging the mating surface?

my 4 year old loves the boat and my older ones have found the joys of fishing for rock fish on the Chesapeake

i love bikes but but the whole family enjoys the boat

·
Premium Member
7,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So did I miss what you were asking for this bike?
havent settled on a price. If the right buyer comes along we’ll figure it out.

I’ve got about $9k into it in NOS parts, paint, chrome machine work and not counting any of my labor if that helps

·
Premium Member
7,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow ..that will be a real heart wrenching ordeal to part with that John. I am restoring a '69 that has that fender reflector and tank stripe ...does that date it to a particular period ?(it's a '69 I think). Mine was green but I opted for Candy Blue when I had it repainted. mine had one piece pipes when i got it which were really solid and I may have rechromed after small repairs. Do you know if the one piece ones would have been original? I also have a NOS pair of two piece ones that have no stampings.

Here is my 'restorers reference'for the '68 ..

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pa0dpqqtsscqp4d/AADMndCfJq94BCucO1RLnXiqa?dl=0
one piece exhaust were used on ‘68 and early ‘69 bikes.

Front fender reflectors were used very late ‘68 and early ‘69

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I’ve got a pair of 350 small blocks in the boat. They are 16 years old and run like new. At some point the blocks will rot out from the salt water
Apparently the salt level down here is greater... his engine problems were always related to salt destruction and he's an accomplished mechanic who was always proactive in his repairs and maintenance. If it's a family decision, then that makes the choice easier

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I spent unknown hours in the ski boat with family and friends, also it would support two divers and a tender. It was great times, but now no one in the family is interested and I could no longer load it by myself so I sold it. If your family likes to fish and ski selling the bike is the way to go. I had mine long enough to replace part of the haul and the floor so besides doing some maintaining on the motors you will learn woodworking and fiber glassing if you dont all ready know.

Yes sometimes they are a hole in the water you throw money in but I think it was worth every dime. If the boat has twin 350s it must be a good size so when the kids get a little older you might think about SCUBA diving . We really enjoyed it.

bill

·
Premium Member
7,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I used to dive quite a bit...till I got married and had kids. I had kids a bit later in life so they are still rather young. 4, 9, 14 years old. we're doing our first snorkeling trip with the kiddies to Mexico in March...should be fun. my wife dives too. we're also bringing the grandparents and my aunt so should be a fun time. I don't really have any interest in diving where I live. the Chesapeake isn't really a good spot for recreational diving.

the Chesapeake isn't that salty; rust is the bigger issue here. one of next year's projects is to install a closed cooling system. given the motors have already spent 17 years in the brine I don't know if adding closed cooling at this point is a good idea but I figure if it doesn't pan out I can take it off and save it for when I need to replace the blocks.

·
Premium Member
7,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Resized952017121295091136.jpg Resized_20171211_160909.jpg

yeah just finished dealing with some soft spots... cut open about 1 square meter of the cabin deck to remove the rotted wood and recore it. I went back in with teak plywood and epoxied it all back together...while I had everything tore apart I decided to make a teak pulpit and windlass. as soon as it warms up I'll bolt and epoxy that back together. I had to fiberglass the anchor locker hatch on the deck closed to provide strength and cut open access to the locker from the cabin and install a watertight hatch. still lots to do...need to finish the plumbing and electric for the raw water anchor washdown pump I added, install the pulpit I made, eurothane the pulpit and awlgrip the deck. I'm into the boat now for just under $40K but it's waaay cheaper than buying new which would run around $300K for a new one....and just about everything in it is new anyhow. next year's project will be the electonics which should run another $15k for all the modern sonar, radar and autopilot and engine controls.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts