Honda Twins banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've already Posted a question in the Suspension section for upgrades and have had some very nice recommendations ;) Thank You !

Now for the brakes, this is a 74' CB 750 K7 I just purchased.

I'm thinking about going this route for it was same approach I did for my 74' CB 750 K4.

On my 750, I drilled and thinned the stock rotor, Upgraded to EBC semi-metallic brake pads, Stainless Steel brake lines all the way to the brake caliper, and changed the M/C from a 14mm stock piston bore to 1/2" ( 12.7mm ). I also have a 11mm piston M/C for even a bigger squeeze at the rotor if needed. Braking performance has been greatly increased !

What would you think about using this same set-up on my 450 ?

Does anyone know what the piston bore diameter is on the stock M/C of my 450 ?

Another change I have used in the Past on a 72' Kawasaki H2 i did several years ago, was to use a dual piston caliper of a Kawasaki EX500 and mount that to a bracket a Forum member made. Big difference too in braking as well.

Has anyone used a different brake caliper with a fabricated mount on their 450 with good results ? If so, would love to hear about that too.

·
Registered
308 Posts
That would make the brake more usable. I would not make the rotor any thinner.
I think the only size difference between these early Honda master cylinders was whether the bike was fitted with single or dual rotors. The 12.7mm one would probably already be enough for the 450 (it's not as heavy as the 750). I think stock was around 14mm, although I am not certain.

Fitting different calipers on the old Honda forks would be a struggle, because they use the unique hinged mount. Hard to fabricate custom mounts for them. It would be much easier and cheaper to fit some 35mm forks of an 80's model - they look almost the same, but have more modern calipers. But then, you'd probably also need the wheel and discs for those forks.

If you change out the master cylinder, upgrade to stainless lines and use different pads, the stock brakes are also fine...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts