Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel vulnerable without it as I feel like I use my front brake more than my rear. Just curious. Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
For what it's worth, my K4 175 came with the front brake light switch being part of the front brake cable, so it might be possible to adapt a similar cable to your CA95.

The later 175s have a conventional front brake light switch incorporated in the brake lever perch, and in fact I fitted the later perch to my K4.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm, never seen that set up before. I'll look in to it. thanks.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
You replace the front brake lever perch with one that has the light switch mounting hole made into it, like the CB350, or Twinstar had. I found some on ebay when I did this to a friends CB160 a few years ago. I did use a new switch from Honda in it though. Then I just wired it into the brake light circuit. You cannot tell it is not original to the bike.
TOOLS

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
That's basically what I did. I used the bottom half of a K7 switch, had to polish off the black paint, and swap the starter button over, otherwise it was a direct fit onto the K4 top half of the switch. Aftermarket front brake cable didn't have the in line switch, I didn't really like the idea in any case, but didn't think later switchgear would be compatible with the CA95.

My K4, with modded brake light switch:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is all good info guys. I appreciate it. I'm gonna head down to my local shop and have a dig through their old controls crate and see what I can come up with. Thanks again.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Fascinating stuff, that cable switch! A pity the aftermarket versions didn't have 'em. I'd love to see that incorporated into other cables, just to clean up the handlebars etc. I mean, I got spoiled by my '69 CB100 with the bars wired internally, and will likely even wire my CLIP-ON bars for my "CB900K0 Bol Bomber" even if it's only for a couple of inches. But think of all the places where this might be adapted - the CLUTCH cable perches have switches to engage the starter & the neutral light etc, but let's say somebody wanted to "RETRO-FRY" a later bike whether that's a "board-track" or "Cafe" or "Steam-punk" or whatever - they might want to use alternative controls whether that's levers with the pivot at the distal end of the bar as in the "Steampunk" version, or just a "street-fighter-er" mod with a CB750P style siren lever connected to the rear brake via a Z1R style remote master-cylinder etc - All of the crotch-rocket stunt-bike people do it - Which would also be useful for a HANDI-CAPABLE retrofit as well! In any case, if the brake is hydraulic you'll want the banjo-bolt actuated switch but only where it's least visible 'cause again that's a MODERN feature. IMHO there are many many applications for a cable switch such as the one shown above.

Either which way, it's FASCINATING stuff!

-Sigh.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Iadapted a universal "pull = on" switch at the brake lever on my 160. Wish I had known about the switch-in-cable solution--more elegant!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts