Honda Twins banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

The previous owner of my Honda CD250U 1989 cafe racer conversion project did a bit of a dodgy job on wiring that I have been periodically fixing as I get access to areas of the bike or issues come up.

I am at the point where I would like to completely rebuild the harness and rewire everything. I am no auto electrician but have done alright to date and feel like I could tackle it.

Any advice for undertaking full harness rebuilds?

Also, as I have tinkered with wiring I've noticed the empty space in the headlight is filled with harness and wiring components hidden in there that service the front end of the bike. Just wondering if this is normal?

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Using the headlight bucket for all the connectors is sort of normal, keeps a tidier look to the bike.
I'd suggest removing and laying the harness out on the floor, a piece of plywood and some nails helps. The nails are driven in at the connector ends so you can keep those in the right positions, also you can use them where there's a directional split in the harness. Sort of like a tree. Then unwrap the harness and inspect each wire. If there's no damage then there's no need to replace it.
Vintage Connections OEM-Type Bullet & Spade Electrical Connectors for 1960's through 1970's Japanese Vehicles... Bridgestone, Datsun, Hodaka, Honda, Kawasaki, Landcruiser, Suzuki, Tohatsu, VW, & Yamaha has lots of the terminal ends and plastic plugs. Here's a source for wire 28 Strand PVC Wire (14 ga AWG) although most of the Japanese wiring is 16GA I think

1 - 2 of 2 Posts