Honda Twins banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi every one
ok i have 3 basket case 66 cb160 bikes. Is there a kit out there for the hardware needed for these bikes. I am not a big fan of re-inventing the wheel
any ideas?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
First of all are they all three titled. If not its a parts bike. If one is titled then you will need a full service manual. As far as I know there is no magic kit out there for any of the bikes we work on so you will have to find the problems and get to work finding the parts to repair it. Hunting down parts is half the fun.

Bill

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh i got parts! I think the only thing i am missing is handlebars. 2 of 3 are titled. It is just the hardware sizes so guess the book comes out.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
^^^couldn't agree more with Bill - and hardware is a pretty loose term when it comes to these bikes, it could mean springs, bolts, brackets, motor mount plates... ask about specific things and we can help you track them down, but a good place to start is either cmsnl.com or Western Honda online to look up part numbers for what you need, then do a Google search or hit eBay and Amazon if you're looking for used stuff (and sometimes new) and then for new stuff (what is left out there, for the 160 the pickings are going to be slimmer) you can try David Silver Spares as well as the others mentioned... but use cmsnl.com as a last resort, as their shipping is always higher than most everyone else.

BTW... we're still waiting for those pictures of the basket cases... because around here, no pictures - it didn't happen :D

·
Registered
755 Posts
Oh i got parts! I think the only thing i am missing is handlebars. 2 of 3 are titled. It is just the hardware sizes so guess the book comes out.
I will assume you are talking about fasteners - bolts, screws, nuts, washers... Most of the fasteners on these bikes are of very few sizes. All of course are metric. Most will be 6mm, many 8mm and a few larger ones and smaller ones. Most can be had at your local hardware or home center. The specific fasteners - head style, etc. may not be available if you are trying to do a faithful restoration. For those you will have to go to a specialty supplier. If there is a Fastenal store nearby they will have or can get whatever you need. There are many suppliers available online, the drawback is you MUST know what size and configuration you need to order sight unseen! Since you do have three bikes, you should be able to find the needed fastener on one of them if only to use as an example for ordering.

If you don't have one already, buy/order a six inch dial caliper in inch/metric NOW. They are cheap and indispensable. If you don't already have one, you will also NEED a handheld "impact driver." HERE is an example. Preferably with some JIS bits. What look like Phillips screws actually are not. ;) Most of them, due to PO's trying to remove them with Phillips screw drivers, will be buggered, some beyond use. Carefully slotting those totally ruined screws with a hacksaw or dremel and using a straight bit in the impact driver usually gets the screw out. Reusing it IS NOT recommended! I've also resorted to a six-inch visegrip clamped to the side of the head and gingerly turning 1/8 revolution or so at a time until loose. :-?

Many, me included, like to replace the JIS head fasteners with socket head fasteners (allen head). They make later removal easier but are not compatible to a faithful restoration. I also prefer stainless steel. Personally, I always try to keep a selection of various sized fasteners on hand. This can be problematic length-wise. As reference, you can usually cut a "too long" bolt to fit.

I hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I use to buy everything needed at Fastenal till they closed the local store. The guys here were great . I tried the stores in a couple other towns but they pretty much sold what the store had on hand and were not interested in ordering anything. So have gone the allen head route.

I have found drilling out the old screws better for me than cutting off the head. Use the same size bit as the screw and the head will spin off on the bit.

If you dont all ready know when cutting off a longer bolt run a nut up past the cut off point . It will help clean up the threads when removed after making the cut.

You may have to go to cms for the longer bolts as they are hard to find.

Just some thoughts.

Bill

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
If you go to partzilla.com and look at the parts fiche for your bikes you will find all the sizes of the bolts, nuts, seals, and bearings you will need. As for titles, I just go to the Vermont DMV web site, print off the forms and get Vermont registrations. Then I can take that to my local DMV and get new titles. You do not have to live in Vermont to register a vehicle there, and due to Federal reciprocity laws every other state in the union must recognize other states laws, so if Vermont says you own the bike, you own the bike. I have done this many times as well as several friends.
TOOLS

1 - 7 of 7 Posts