Honda Twins banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
It should take a pretty good kick to turn it if the compression is good. Pull the spark plugs out and see if it frees up.

Reactions: 76TWIN

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
You can't/shouldn't be able to turn the kick starter by hand anyway so that's not really a good way to test this.

·
Registered
506 Posts
functions fine, as in you can kick start the bike? But it is very hard to move? Do you have high compression 74mm pistons? Takes a fair boot to kick a high comp bike over. Electric starter working?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
No electric starter, I can kick start the bike by basically standing on it (i'm 200lbs), can't really kick it if I'm sitting on the bike. ~175psi each cylinder, 2nd overbore. I ask because my father in law's triumph is pretty effortless.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Sounds pretty normal to me. I have never owned a Honda twin that I could kick start while sitting on it.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Put it in 2nd gear and roll it backwards until it comes to a stop, against compression. Slip it back into neutral and kick it from the top of the stroke. That way you will be turning the engine and(hopefully) building up momentum, for part of a turn, before it comes up against compression. Jumping on the lever is a great way to break parts, push down until you feel the gears mesh, then heave on the kickstarter.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I've never had a problem starting my CB360 or 450 while sitting. It's a good practice to turn it around slowly, until you come to the point of most resistance (one cylinder on compression stroke), and then starting it. Although it is still fairly easy. I have a couple Italian Moto Morinis, with the kickstarter on the left side. I always have to get off the bike to start them...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts