Honda Twins banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok gentleman, heres the scenario

1. 73 CB450 engine - fixed the infamous 2nd gear shift problem. Replaced piston rings and honed. Assembled motor and fired. Ran just as good as it did before the tear down......sluggish (timing is off)

2. Now i am experiencing a hard shift. Now this is difficult to explain, but i will do my best.
Imagine shifting a manual tranny in a car, there is difficulty from the moment the shifter starts to engage the gear.
This is how it is on the bike...hard shifting.
The bike will go into gear, and out, just with extreme difficulty....extreme difficulty.

The bike rode fine for about 20 - 25 miles since rebuild. I did not change the oil, which i think may be a contributor to this problem. Also, my friend rode the bike and didnt use the clutch...this has me pissed!

Im going to change the oil. may have to do it a few times. I hope this problem doesnt require tearing the engine apart again.

Im thinking either the shift drum, or the cogs on the trans shafts.
Any ideas guys?
Thanks for looking
-Dan from nj

PS do not let people ride your bike

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
How did the labyrinth on the shift drum and the pins that "follow" in it look...???
Are the 'hairpins" correctly positined?.........
"speed-shifting" can raise a burr, roll a point, bend a fork, or nick a pin and cause that "hanging-up" symptom.....
I guess my REAL question is "why would you put used oil in a fresh engine?"

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i didnt use used oil. i put fresh oil in...
i should mention this tho, the bike did leak a lot of oil and i may have put too much in when i added.

other than that the pins and shift drum labryinth looked good.

im going to drain the oil later and if that looks ok, i guess ill have to remove the clutch cover....and if that doesnt yeild the problem ill pull the motor apart again

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
NOS351WCM said:
" I did not change the oil, which i think may be a contributor to this problem." ...... "Im going to change the oil."
The above is why I thought you used old oil............ ;)

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry for the confusion steve, i did put new oil in the motor after it was assembled. After it was fired up, and gone through a break in cycle, the oil shouldve been changed. It wasnt, i was too excited to ride and shift into 2nd gear. The bike leaked oil so i just put "more" in, probably too much.

The more i think about the problem, and the symptoms, the more i think i have to pull the motor again... :(
o well it is what it is

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Heres an update on the condition

drained some of the oil out, and it is straight black. With chunks of gunk. So me and my roommate are going to run new oil and possibly sea foam through the engine a few times hoping to free the gears on the shafts.
Anyone ever use sea foam in a bike?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts