Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, fellow HondaTwins members,

After my 3rd son was born my amazing wife asked me to sell my Honda VFR. She was an X-ray tech and saw too many victims of bike mishaps. I complied. That was 21 years ago and this weekend I reentered the world of motorcycling with her support. I brought home a running 1975 CB200 with 3500 miles and it needs a little love. I plan on getting the bike back to dependable operation in the next few months. My plan is to ride around the city of Portland Maine and to the beach. We live about 4 miles away from the city and the beaches on Cape Elizabeth. I am not an experienced mechanic. But, I like learning, getting my hands dirty and the feeling of making something better. I will be looking to learn from so many of you and perhaps meeting up to talk Honda twins. Thanks for supporting this great site. John

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Welcome John, and a great introduction and backstory. Congrats on getting back into bikes with the support of your wife. You'll get all the info and answers you need here, the community is very knowledgeable and there are many 175/200 owners who have been through what you're about to embark upon. Now, the only thing missing... is pictures of said bike :)

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Welcome John, I'm just down over the MA border.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome John, and a great introduction and backstory. Congrats on getting back into bikes with the support of your wife. You'll get all the info and answers you need here, the community is very knowledgeable and there are many 175/200 owners who have been through what you're about to embark upon. Now, the only thing missing... is pictures of said bike :)
Thanks Ancientdad. I just loaded this pic into the gallery.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Is that a copper exhaust baffle I see?

I cant seem to find it online but I remember reading about a whole race crew in the 50s or 60s somewhere that died of monoxide poisoning in short order after they built and started tuning copper exhaust systems on their cars.
Apparently copper acts as some sort of catalyst resulting in a different combination of toxic gasses in the tailpipe emissions.

Has anyone else heard of this?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alan, Thanks. Not sure if its a cooper exhaust baffle. Of course, I have no idea if its original or not. I'll take a close up photo and upload by tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
I'm not nit picking, it just sparked a memory. Sorry for the hijack.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alan, Thanks. Not sure if its a cooper exhaust baffle. Of course, I have no idea if it's original or not. I'll take a close up photo and upload it by tomorrow.
Are you kidding? I love it. You'll notice dents on the side of the pipe caused when the kickstand is used to start the bike. Until now I was thinking the kickstand was a replacement or bent. Because of your insight, I now believe the issue is an aftermarket pipe that's too wide.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Yes I agree. That aluminum muffler mount tells the tale, those mounts are usually toward the middle of the bike when universal mufflers are mounted. Yours are at the top to help keep the mufflers tucked in, that's why they're lower than the swingarm.
I'll bet it runs nice and quiet though.
How's cornering clearance?

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Welcome. I did something similar 22 years ago when we found out my then GF (now wife) was pregnant with our first.
I parked the bike in the garage to collect dust and gave up riding for a long time. But now that the kids are older she is all for me riding again and even partake as a passenger as well.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, I agree. That aluminum muffler mount tells the tale, those mounts are usually toward the middle of the bike when universal mufflers are mounted. Yours are at the top to help keep the mufflers tucked in, that's why they're lower than the swingarm.
I'll bet it runs nice and quiet though.
How's cornering clearance?
The bike is very quiet. I have not yet tested the cornering clearance. Last night I downloaded and read, "Evaluating old bikes in 6 easy steps" What a great reminder of the basics. Step 1 is "change the oil," which I intend to do this weekend. Once I change the oil, I'll go out for a bit longer ride and test some cornering.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Welcome. I did something similar 22 years ago when we found out my then GF (now wife) was pregnant with our first.
I parked the bike in the garage to collect dust and gave up riding for a long time. But now that the kids are older she is all for me riding again and even partake as a passenger as well.
76Twin, Thanks for sharing your story. The good news is that she's interested in riding a scooter to the beach this coming Summer. A good start for me!

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Oh and be sure to turn the petcock off when the engine isn't running. These carbs have imperfect seals around the float valves and can leak gas through the cylinders and drain into the crank case. Fuel fouled oil is a really bad thing for engine lubrication.

·
Registered
219 Posts
John,

Man thats a nice 200 and only 3500 on it. You got a nice find. You came to the right place for help & advice here. I'm sure you will find it just as informative as I have. A good cleaning and that thing will almost look new.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
John,

Man thats a nice 200 and only 3500 on it. You got a nice find. You came to the right place for help & advice here. I'm sure you will find it just as informative as I have. A good cleaning and that thing will almost look new.
Singletooth, Thank you so much. I’m so appreciative of this forum. I’ve already been helped with some feedback.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Welcome and that's an awesome bike. If you ever want to sell it, just bring it over to the other Portland and I'll meet you. ;)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey Doctor. Thanks. Funny enough I did live in Camas Wash for almost five years. Have many great friends in Portland West. Keep it Weird. Best, John

1 - 20 of 21 Posts