Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Flying the Hawk in central Ohio!

I have always loved the 1978 Hawks - got my first one in the early 90's and promptly painted it (profile pic - the Cow-asaki Moo-tercycle) and have had several since. I currently have a TII project bike and a complete Hondamatic (along with a couple scooters and a very old moped). I learned to ride on a CL360; had a CB750K for a while; many, many mopeds; and a Yamaha FZ1. I'm just nuts that way, I guess.

I just got my hands on a local running TII I will be putting around on and prettying up over time. I will probably keep it as stock as reasonably possible, but not above some mild mods. I really like the way these bikes look and perform and am very happy to be getting back on one.

(Photo from bike shop, so it's still a little apart at this point. I should be getting it in the next few weeks.)

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle Car

·
Registered
399 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Nice looking bike. Of course you'll need a state-of-the-art Factory Service Manual. PM sent.
Post pics of the Hondamatic as well. Just picked up a 400A fixer myself.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks so much, Ted! I had a B&W non-searchable version, so this is awesome! :D And good luck with your A! I have found I really like to shift, so the TII is my favorite, but the A is still a quite nice bike. :)

·
Registered
500 Posts
Welcome aboard! Congrats for your new bike, I have a 79 turned into a cafe myself. With a little polishing and patience, she'll be looking good. Looks like the tank paint is on pretty good shape?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Polish! Cafe racers are fun! I'll have to go check yours out - do you have a build page? The tank is pretty okay but has several bangs where the paint is gone and it's rusting in those spots a little. I do have several other tanks and might swap one out if they are any better.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Yes, I have few pictures on my profile page. Watch as many videos as possible to get inspiration, Racer TV is a good one for mistakes not to do, proportions, etc. It helped me a lot. Guys here on the forum are very helpful as well and very, very knowledgable. Just asked questions!

Mine is pretty close to stock, except for clip-ons, LED lights, shorter fenders, mirrors and black paint. Cleaned and polished everything myself. Even built that Cafe seat myself.

Here is a tread I wish I knew about when bought mine, but I think yours comes from a dealer, so may not have to do it.

http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/67...n/16105-basic-checklist-new-you-old-bike.html

·
Registered
475 Posts
Welcome,Nice bike

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, everyone! It's been quite a while since I have been into the Hawks and resources sure have changed for the better!

·
Registered
9,797 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Great to see another 400 series here.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Yes I do plus a 1980 cm400e, I haven't added yet.

Reactions: Polish

·
Registered
475 Posts
OK Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire I have more pictures in the gallery

·
Registered
475 Posts
Yes everything runs except the orange 1978 cb400a that's barn fresh and it will be running before spring. The grey cat(smudge) Is riding a Tomos XL moped

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
How awesome, Barry! I hope to get my A running in the somewhat near future, too. Love Smudge! :)

·
Registered
500 Posts
There is a 78 CB400A here for sale, $500. Looks in very good shape and have all the parts, just ignition problem.

·
Registered
475 Posts
That's a problem with the autos you cant get a new cdi,but you can swap the flywheel stater and cdi with a 400t

1 - 20 of 20 Posts