Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to change out my handlebars on my '73 CB350G. Brat style, less rise than stock. I've seen that the left and right switch boxes need to be moded to allow the cables to run outside the handlebars. I was thinking about using a thermal friction drill and create holes to run the cables inside the bars. Any thoughts??

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Am I missing something here? I just set them up in my drill press, drill a couple of holes then file them oval .

Bill

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
From reading that description, you wouldn't want to use that method on chromed handlebars. Sounds like it would discolor them around the hole. I'd also guess you need some very specialized equipment to do it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Follow up

Yeah Bill, I think we're all wondering...
So I am a newb, but I haven't found many options in the pre-drilled bars like ancientdad provided (thank you!).

I'm looking for black & a ~3in rise, like these Renthal's in Low: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/renthal-street-handlebars-78

In regards to the thermal drilling:
You can use them in a drill press as long as you are getting the right RPM for the hole/metal combo

I dont know why, but I really like the looks of those holes with the rounded top, and while not too visible in bars I might use for future mods...

·
Registered
856 Posts
The renthal's are a no go for internal wiring, the aluminum is way too thick. They are great bars(I have them on my CX) but you have to run the wires on the outside.

·
Registered
554 Posts
The flowdrill does look neat. However, I'd be worried about the wiring exiting the hole. The process leaves quite a collar of metal inside the tubing that would present a fairly acute edge for chafing the wiring and creating a short.

·
Registered
698 Posts
The CB400F bars are an excellent choice. Remember that the switches ground through the handlebars so no paint at the ground points, ie clamps, switch locations.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts