Honda Twins banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a cb500t. 1975. Its in very good shape. Issue is someone installed some different handle bars. Cut the wiring on the right side. Starter and kill switch. Looking for info on those wire colors. Also looking for head lamp wiring colors. Its intact but unhooked. I attached a picture of a plug that is hanging from the headlamp bucket but it does not have a mate anywhere close to it.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
That plug is not from a CB500T or any Honda bike I have ever seen. Someone did a hack job on this one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Removed the plug. It all had bullet connectors that fit the factory wiring. Fairing maybe? I dont know. Used the wiring diagram that was posted. Figured out the wiring. Everything works as it should. Splashed some gas in it and it took right off. I need a good aftermarket switch for the right side or a good oem used.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Before you get too excited and get carried away, there are a few crucial things you need to check before you start running the engine for any length of time.

1. Check the oil. Make sure it doesn't smell of gas. These bikes are notorious for having the carbs leaking into the cylinders and into the crank case and diluting your oil. Gas contaminated oil is extremely bad for engine lubrication and can cause severe damage to the engine. If the oil smell of gas then change it ASAP before you start the engine again. ALWAYS turn off the petcock when the bike is not running!

2. Check and make sure the valve tappet clearance is good all around. Make sure the cam follower marks (the T notches) are pointing away from the spark plug hole otherwise you could risk serious damage to the engine.

Untitled.jpg

And oh yeah, if you haven't done so, make sure you download a copy of the Honda Service Manual. This is a must have and should be the only source of information you need for the bike.

http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/54...uments/42637-cb500t-honda-service-manual.html

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oil was changed first thing. However it was not diluted with gas. Just my normal practice on a barn find. T notches are correct. This bike was stored with no gas in the tank and no gas in the bowls. Its all crystal clean. Thanks for the manual.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have had good luck buying OEM wiring harnesses for electrical.
Removed the plug. It all had bullet connectors that fit the factory wiring. Fairing maybe? I dont know. Used the wiring diagram that was posted. Figured out the wiring. Everything works as it should. Splashed some gas in it and it took right off. I need a good aftermarket switch for the right side or a good oem used.
Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts