Honda Twins banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this on ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Ho...450/182519094907?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

My 450CL is on its third set of handlebars. The guy I bought it from got it with "ape hangers" which he took off and put a set of scrambler bars back on it. Currently, there is vibration in the bars. I'm wondering if I even have dampers. Where are the dampers located? From looking at the picture it looks like the handlebar bolts go through these and you'd use four of them (expensive) but, looking at my bike (without taking the bars off) I don't see where something like this would go at all. Or maybe the picture just makes it look too big?

I figure I can take the bars off and look or just ask here.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
Wish I could find a new 'Bar Snake' which is a long special rubber handlebar damper which gets installed inside the full length of the handlebars;the wires from your handlebar switches would need to be placed outside the bars with that style.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I added bar end weights to mine, since a semi-solid Bar Snake wouldn't work, and the liquid was forever out of stock. With the end weights and fresh dampers, the vibration is a lot less. A good carb sync, and it's even better.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I see them. Thanks. Thanks for the better price too. Looks like no one had to remove them to change the handlebars in the past so mine are probably still in place but could be in bad shape with age. Anyone know how you get parts #4 off?

Anyone ever had a reason to replace theirs?

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
I see them. Thanks. Thanks for the better price too. Looks like no one had to remove them to change the handlebars in the past so mine are probably still in place but could be in bad shape with age. Anyone know how you get parts #4 off?

Anyone ever had a reason to replace theirs?
Take off nut #17.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Yep, #17. Depending on your cable length, you may need to remove the bridges holding your bars on, move them aside, replace bushings, reverse.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Take off nut #17.
That's what it looks like. Take off #17. After I remove the washers does the damper just pull out? I don't want to rip it up trying to get it out and then find out its okay.

Also has anyone ever checked theirs? If they hold up after all these years then I'll leave them alone. But if they get hard and brittle they're probably no longer working.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
There is a damper on top and bottom of each holder. All 4 should be inspected. Mine were old and hard and replaced about 10 years ago. I hope your not expecting it to feel like a 4 cylinder. These bikes do vibrate.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I noticed mine were shot not because of excessive handlebar vibration, but because the handlebars themselves had about 1/4" of push/pull play on each end, from how the bushings had hardened and shrunk. If you've got a lot of vibration, the bushings might help a little, but the most effective thing would be making sure your carbs are synced perfectly.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There is a damper on top and bottom of each holder. All 4 should be inspected. Mine were old and hard and replaced about 10 years ago. I hope your not expecting it to feel like a 4 cylinder. These bikes do vibrate.
While I count four dampers in the diagram, I only see one above nut #17. Are there actually two above each nut? And, if so, do they both install from below (by removing the nut #17 and pulling them out?) Or do I have to do something else?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
While I count four dampers in the diagram, I only see one above nut #17. Are there actually two above each nut? And, if so, do they both install from below (by removing the nut #17 and pulling them out?) Or do I have to do something else?

Thanks!
One goes below the top bridge, pushed up by nut#17, the other goes on top, and the riser bolt fits through it. Two risers, four cushions. Look again at the diagram at the side posted above.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts

Thanks!
One goes below the top bridge, pushed up by nut#17, the other goes on top, and the riser (handle holder #4) bolt fits through it. Two risers, four cushions. Look again at the diagram at the site posted above, it shows them in the order of assembly pretty well.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
I added bar end weights to mine, since a semi-solid Bar Snake wouldn't work, and the liquid was forever out of stock. With the end weights and fresh dampers, the vibration is a lot less. A good carb sync, and it's even better.
Lead shot, with some RTV in the ends to retain it, works pretty well also.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts