Honda Twins banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
I got some Euro Bars and Bar End mirrors for X-Mas. SO I need to replace my bars! I had a little time before work the other day, and took a look at it and am unsure where to begin. I know what wires to unplug in my headlight bucket from the wire harness, but how do I go about getting the throttle cables off? My bikes a 76 cj360T by the way. I'm not sure if there's an easy way, or if it is difficult? I am afriad to screw up the linkage! Never done something like this before, so any help would be appreciated!

Thank You and Happy New Year!

·
Registered
363 Posts
It's easy, remove the left switch / clutch lever perch assembly by removing the 3 screws on the bottom, and opening it like a clam shell. gently remove the wires from the handle bar. the right unit is a little trickier, as you have to open the switch pod with out disturbing the throttle tube. If your wires are not in the handle bar, then you can just loosen the 2 screws on the right switch pod and slide the entire thing throttle and all off the end of the bar, no disassembly required, just wait till you remove the 4 bolts holding the bar to the bike so you can move the bar to the left to give you enough free play in the cables to get it off.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I used a lot of WD-40, black tape and a bare steel braided cable to pull my right side switch wires through the handle bar.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Guys! Ended up not being as bad as I though. I was able to get one throttle cable off the tube, and that made that side easy. And the wires came out really easy. I got lucky!

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
diloret2 said:
Thanks Guys! Ended up not being as bad as I though. I was able to get one throttle cable off the tube, and that made that side easy. And the wires came out really easy. I got lucky!

Thanks again!
Have you tried putting the wires back in yet?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Here it is. Just basically mounted. My uncle is painting my tank, so I have to wait to get that back before I put the bars in the position I want and before I drill the holes in it. I didn't know how I would feel about the bar end mirrors, but I really like them.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea, they may be a hair long. I can always cut them if need be, but I'm just waiting on my tank

·
Registered
439 Posts
a HAIR LONG? hmmmm, you must have long arms or something :lol:

but isnt that a perfect setup for the 10" over inexpensive cables sold on ebay?
you just may be onto a trend here!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That picture must be deceiving, because I can easily reach them and use the controls. I can only take off about an inch before the end of the controls would hit the bend in the bars.

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
gs1327 said:
BTW they're upside down.
I noticed that too but figured that's how he wanted them mounted.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I know they're upside down, that's the way I wanted them. I tried them right side up, but like them this way. I wanted clubman type bars, but not, if that make sense.

·
Registered
90 Posts
So are your wires running inside the handlebars?? I can't figure out how to cut into the bars. I am planning on fitting clubman bars.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I used a drill and just kept moving up in size on the bits till it was big enough. To match the oblong holes, I drilled two holes next to each other and then joined them into one oblong hole with a dremel. It was not the easiest method I'm sure, but I don't have a drill press or a mill.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
I recently had to replace the handlebar on my cb350 after a low speed crash on an incredibly poorly maintained gravel road. My local bike shop had a couple of styles of "Bikemaster" brand bars in stock. I found that the 'Daytona' style wasn't too far different than stock, and I think it actually improved the riding stance for me. The only issue was that the bars don't come drilled.

I tried Silver's method of drilling and then connecting the holes with a dremel. I found that to be pretty difficult. What worked best for me was to wrap the are I needed a hole in masking tape, use a permanent mark to draw the shape, and then use an angle grinder to thin the metal where I had marked. Then I used a dremel with a tungsten-carbide bit (I used #9910) to cut, shape, and smooth the hole. It worked really slick for me, and was a lot quicker and cleaner than the drill method.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts