Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The handlebar on my 71 SL350 is slightly loose. I think it's because the rubber cushions need to be replaced (part no. 53133303000). I can slightly lift up on the handlebar and see the holder lift up from the bridge about .060. I guess not bad for a 47 year old bike. I 'll order replacement cushions but is there anything else I should look at while in there?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Assuming it’s close to the 360 in design, not really. Swapping out those bushings is as easy as releasing the nuts underneath the cradles for the bars, dropping out the bushings under the triple, pull up your bars, pull the other bushing off the cradle shaft, replace them and reverse the procedure. Shouldn’t take more than 5 minutes, but makes a world of difference.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Once you have it apart, be sure to check the handlebar holder base for looseness on the stud that goes through the top fork bridge (upper triple). Sometimes the lower portion of the handlebar clamp will come slightly loose on the stud, making it seem to be loose bushings. Doesn't happen often, but I have seen it before

·
Registered
493 Posts
Not sure if you want to, but you could add some washers on the bottom to help squish the rubber more.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Does the 350 not come with those? My 360 came with cupped washers to keep them from squishing around the nut. I would think adding additional ones would just stress the rubber and make it crack earlier.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes it originally came with a lock and a flat washer. I ordered new rubber cushions from my local bike dealer. They should arrive tomorrow. It's amazing that one can still get new original Honda parts from Honda for a 47 year old bike! This whole project was a result of my installing a Gammatronix battery charge monitor. I fabricated a bracket which is fastened under the left handlebar holder bolt. That's when I noticed the slight play. I think the monitor is a great little device. I also have one on my CB400F. I learned that the regulator was overcharging above 2200 rpm. When am I ever under 2200 rpm? :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I picked up the new cushions yesterday and plan to install them tomorrow. For those who might be interested, here is a picture of the cushions I got. Notice that the upper and lower cushions are different. The large end diameters are the same (23.5mm) as well as the holes (12.0mm) but the heights are a little different (top = 20.8mm, bottom = 19.3mm). Also the top ones are made of a medium soft rubber while the bottom ones feel like a hard plastic (maybe Delrin).
cushions.jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts