Honda Twins banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know a cheap place where I go to get my handle bars installed near San Diego CA? I have what I need just cant do it myself witout a drill.
Thank you

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
hambandit said:
what do you need a drill for?
It sounds like he want to drill holes then cut the slots so he can run the switch wires through the bars like the stock ones.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think im better off going out to get a drill.
I just gonna do that. Has anyone chaged their own bars before? any tips?

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Cl350k3guy said:
I think im better off going out to get a drill.
I just gonna do that. Has anyone chaged their own bars before? any tips?
You're probably going to need a dremel tool and a small file set. The files are pretty inexpensive at Lowe's/Home Depot and can justify a drill and dremel tool as required household items anyway.

Here is how I did it. There was another member out there that posted his system and it's was done beautifully. I don't recall the link though.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=639&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=330

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Right on. Thank you so much
I'll get on that tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
thrilhou said:
Hey Mike, did you mean this thread?
http://www.hondatwins.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=34771#p34771
This guy did super clean job of it. I had it saved as a reference...
Yes, that's the one. He did a very clean, professional of cutting the slots. I wouldn't have disassembled the switches but rather I cut all the connectors off and then reattached new one. That presupposes, of course, that you have new connectors. If not, then disassembling the switches might be the best choice since I don't like cutting and splicing wires for a number of reasons..

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
MNellis said:
thrilhou said:
Hey Mike, did you mean this thread?
http://www.hondatwins.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=34771#p34771
This guy did super clean job of it. I had it saved as a reference...
Yes, that's the one. He did a very clean, professional of cutting the slots. I wouldn't have disassembled the switches but rather I cut all the connectors off and then reattached new one. That presupposes, of course, that you have new connectors. If not, then disassembling the switches might be the best choice since I don't like cutting and splicing wires for a number of reasons..
Hmmm... I'm curious... before I try doing this myself... do you think it would be impossible to route the cable through the bar with the bullet connectors still attached?
I assumed I would feed it in and out that way, but never considered that it may be too difficult with the connectors in place.
I feel a maelstrom of expletives coming on...

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
I pulled all the wires through the handlebars of a 72 CB750 for my friend, bullet connectors and all. It was a very tight fit. I used old cable from a bicycle or motorcycle electrical taped up all the wiring harness wires with electrical tape and secured them to the cable. I remember how much of a pain it was, but everything went through.

The question I've got is if it's possible to snake my wires through clubman bars ;)

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
luketrash said:
I pulled all the wires through the handlebars of a 72 CB750 for my friend, bullet connectors and all. It was a very tight fit. I used old cable from a bicycle or motorcycle electrical taped up all the wiring harness wires with electrical tape and secured them to the cable. I remember how much of a pain it was, but everything went through.

The question I've got is if it's possible to snake my wires through clubman bars ;)
Good to know... your description of using an old cable to aid in pulling through was to be my general plan of attack.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
We had to make two attempts. the first time I was overzealous with the electrical tape and had too big of a wad to pull through the bars. Then by prayer and luck we got the wires through with minimal taping. It was an exercise in patience. We were using OEM bars, so the openings in them were absolutely as small as could be. If I was making my own bars, the hole at the center of the bars would be a bit larger as would the one at the hand grip.

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
The thing that concerns me is removing too much material from the bars. It seems to me that the bars aren't stressed that much that it'll be too much of a problem, but I've noticed that on OEM bars there is a reinforced section at the clamping area around the wire harness hole.
Hmmm...

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
Yeah, that would worry me a bit too. Especially since I tacoed a set of handlebars on a bicycle as a kid when I was trying to show off for girls doing wheelies. I had drilled a 1/4" hole through the bars and gooseneck to put a bolt in to keep them from turning. That was a weak enough point for 11 year old me to bend the bar in half ;)

Hopefully no wheelies on the Honda though, so you'll probably be fine, but I definitely feel the same way about removing material down there. I think a longer, thinner (oval) opening is better than a circular one.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think thats what im going to do. Im going to pull the wires out with the bullet connectors still on.
I'm working with drag bars so putting the wires back in won't be a problem.
Before I take on this task I have to figure out why my rear signals aren't working.
After that's all done it's time to change those bars.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts