Honda Twins banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm heading over to a machinist to have nylon bushings made for my handlebar mounts on my CB450. The rubber bushings are pretty worn out and, I didn't want to go back to the rubber ones because I hated the flexible flyer feeling. I had no feedback at all and was just going on blind faith that the front tire was sticking.
Honda put them there to absorb vibration but, I'd rather deal with the vibration to gain feel.
I'm hoping the nylon would be a compromise (absorb some vibration but still give good feedback) between the rubber and a solid mount.

I haven't gotten a price or met the guy yet. He seems to be a nice guy, retired, and plenty of knowledge, skill and equipment.

I'm going to ask him to make two complete sets (8 total,1 set for the racer, one for the street bike).

Wondering-- would anyone else be interested?

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
I think you're going to find the buzzing with the nylon bushing to be irritating. I put new, eBay purchases, rubber bushing on my 350 and they work great and provide plenty of feedback. If I was going to vintage race the bike and didn't care about comfort then I'd go with the nylon bushing or mount them solid.

Let us know what they cost. The machinest is going to have at least an hour into them plus materials. So unless he's just a guy working out of his garage it's going to cost at least $50 - $75 and that's cheap for machinest labor.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MNellis said:
I think you're going to find the buzzing with the nylon bushing to be irritating. I put new, eBay purchases, rubber bushing on my 350 and they work great and provide plenty of feedback. If I was going to vintage race the bike and didn't care about comfort then I'd go with the nylon bushing or mount them solid.

Let us know what they cost. The machinest is going to have at least an hour into them plus materials. So unless he's just a guy working out of his garage it's going to cost at least $50 - $75 and that's cheap for machinest labor.

Well, I'm on my way-- will post when I return.
As I said, one set is for the AHRMA racer. Even the street bike won't be used for long trips. I am going to throw it in the van and take it down to NC to scrub the mountain roads soon. In the past, it was normal to ride 1500 miles in a week.

Hope you're wrong on all counts$$

will let you know when I'm back.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
It's easier to just use a 750 top tree on the 450.... Rigid bar mounts already there....

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
66Sprint said:
It's easier to just use a 750 top tree on the 450.... Rigid bar mounts already there....
What about the instrument mounting??

Of course, if this is a race bike, who cares?

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Nothing a small steel plate with four holes in it, and two bolt/nut pairs won't fix.....

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mike--
I hate it when you're right. He wants $50.00 (which, I decided was the max I would pay and even that is stupid money). I have to remember, it's not $50.00 for 4 pieces of nylon. It's for his skill and time.
He did say that price was a guess-- could be less. I told him if he wanted more, he was out of luck.
I told him I might want an extra set or two or three. He said if he ran a production run, they would be cheaper so-- we'll see.
If I wasn't so anal about it, I would have just said funk it and got some NOS rubber but, I want to see what this does no matter (almost) the cost. It's what makes most of us different than the rest of the crowd. Having something one off, unique, different, that we designed or made ourselves, is what gets us up in the morning (no matter how impractical it is).
Before I recommend them to anyone, I want to see for sure how much and, how bad the vibration is.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
66Sprint said:
Nothing a small steel plate with four holes in it, and two bolt/nut pairs won't fix.....
Steel? Steel? You mean aluminum right? Polished. And drilled for lightness! Steel! What are you some kinda chopper rider? :D

Geesh, I just bought a CB400F wheel that probably won't work, now you want me to buy a 750 top triple clamp too?

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
The 400 wheel WILL work (just needs finessed)... The 750 top tree could be a gift if you play your cards right, and IT will fit (you will only have to cover postage)..... (I just have to go through the pile of trees I have)...LOL....

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Bob, IF you really want the "trick" set-up, I could provide a set of 500/4 trees (top and bottom).... Same width as the 450, but less forward offset, so less trail... (you'll turn quicker)......Rigid bar mounts as well.....Stem fits the 450 neck..... I WAS going to use them with 750F forks on a 360, but that's kind of a waste.....

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
66Sprint said:
Bob, IF you really want the "trick" set-up, I could provide a set of 500/4 trees (top and bottom).... Same width as the 450, but less forward offset, so less trail... (you'll turn quicker)......Rigid bar mounts as well.....Stem fits the 450 neck..... I WAS going to use them with 750F forks on a 360, but that's kind of a waste.....

I'm in, whats my bid (is this Canasta?)

Geesh and here I sit with my 450 clamps all polished and fitted with ALL BALLS.

And, I still will have to pay this machinist guy $50.00!

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
I presume you already ordered the nylon inserts then......Oh well!....There is no reason you can't swap the tapered bearings to the 500/550/4 stem.............
I'll send a PM for/with the info... I'll need a shipping addy.....

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I got my bushings-- $50.00. The machinist said he could make more for $40.00 plus materials. So, figure about $45.00 or so plus postage.

I haven't tried them yet. Looks like I'm going with a 500/4 triple tree so, they will be going on my street 450.

I think they will work well. I think they will allow a little more vibration through than the rubber ones but should increase feed back. That may or may not be important.

Sooooo let me know.

I will revive this post once I get them on.
Maybe tomorrow (swapping my crazy bend exhaust and reverse cone megs tomorrow-- might swap pout the handlebar bushing too).

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Here's a pic of the top tree with measurements...
Tube (pinch diameter)............. 35mm
Width (center to center).........183mm
Offset (center to center)..........44mm
Meter mount holes (C to C).......80mm

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Bill. It's either a 500/4 or a 550/4, (I believe they are the same part number)....You'll notice it's not as forward offset as the 450/500T ones.....
Original pic at:
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa15 ... 4treeR.jpg

:D Steve

ALSO NOTE that it REQUIRES the "D" washers in the slots, (on the pinch bolts), or it will crack (Just like the 450 or 750 tops)............

1 - 17 of 17 Posts