Honda Twins banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there

I have a CB450 1970. I was lucky enough to get a top triple clamp through this forum as mine was cracked, so I thought I would post this problem and see what you think.

When I fitted the top triple clamp I fitted new genuine rubbers to the handle bar risers. The left riser moves when you push on the handle bars as if it is a lose fit. I tried putting another washer under the nut to squish the rubbers together tighter but this made no difference. I tried a stack of 3 washers and this didn't help.

The right side riser is fine but this left one should not be moving this much. It's off putting to ride the bike on twisty roads. It doesn't stop me ridding it, but I would love to fix it.

What do you reckon?

I won't be offended at any suggestions because sometimes I can over look the most obvious things.

Thanks for your time and thoughts
Scott

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Hi there

I have a CB450 1970. I was lucky enough to get a top triple clamp through this forum as mine was cracked, so I thought I would post this problem and see what you think.

When I fitted the top triple clamp I fitted new genuine rubbers to the handle bar risers. The left riser moves when you push on the handle bars as if it is a lose fit. I tried putting another washer under the nut to squish the rubbers together tighter but this made no difference. I tried a stack of 3 washers and this didn't help.

The right side riser is fine but this left one should not be moving this much. It's off putting to ride the bike on twisty roads. It doesn't stop me ridding it, but I would love to fix it.

What do you reckon?

I won't be offended at any suggestions because sometimes I can over look the most obvious things.

Thanks for your time and thoughts
Scott

Hi Scott? The idea of the rubbers it to stop the unpleasant 450 buzz that will make your hands go numb after riding for a while. I find that the looser the bars are the less vibration gets through.
That supposes that the nuts on the raisers are tight and the length of the rods is equal when done up. Most likely you have after market rubbers and they may not be an exact replica of the Honda rubbers. Try lifting the bars if there is up and down movement then something is wrong. I have used rubber washers to remove excess slop in the handlebars but you should be able to move the bars back and forward with out very much strength.
If everything is correct the slight movement in the bars (feels much worse than it is) is normal and you get used to it .... but no one gets used to the vibration you get if the bars are tight.
Allan

·
Registered
3,538 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
G'day Allan

I'm about 99% sure they are genuine rubbers. I think they were about $4 each and came up from Honda Melb.

I tried lifting the left handle bar and there is a little up down movement but none when I try the same to the right hand side.

G'day James

I will definatly try swaping rubbers left to right and then the riser rubber as a whole left to right. The parts are all in place just like the micro fish.

Thanks
Scott

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
It's also possible that the actual mounting area (lower half of the handlebar clamp where the bolts screw into) is loose on the stud that goes through your upper triple clamp. I have seen this a few times in the past and it can give the impression that the rubber inserts aren't tight enough.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts