Honda Twins banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.

I am a 47 year old vintage Honda nut from southern Sweden.

I got myselfe a CB 450 last week and while seeking info on some problems with the bike I stumbled upon you'r excellent forum. I have a problem with charging (and I see I am not alone with that problem) and a minor oil leak from one of the 8 nuts that holds the top. Otherwise I just love this bike.

Here is my CB 500F

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Welcome.....Love the K1 tank...... The leak at the head-stud nut could probably be fixed with a new copper washer.....Do you have some specifics about your charging system? (Alternator AC voltage?, DCV at revs at Battery?)....:D

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Welcome aboard! :D Now send me some authentic Swedish meatballs!! Just pokin fun at ya.. ;)

LOVE the bike.. *drools*

GB :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Welcome, nice looking 450.

Which nut are you getting the leaking from? If it's one of the two outside nuts on the right side then, as Steve said, it could just be a washer. If it's leaking out any of the other nuts then you've probably got a bad head gasket.

I would do a compression check, especially if the oil seepage is at any location other than those two outside nuts.

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for making me feel very welcome to this forum.

66Sprint said:
Do you have some specifics about your charging system? (Alternator AC voltage?, DCV at revs at Battery?)....:D
The alternator AC Voltage (with the stator disconnected) is a healthy 20V at idle and 50V when revving.
DC Voltage at the rectifyer (don't know if thats the right word, the unit with 4 diods that convert AC to DC) is 12,44V same as battery.
This is a minor problem as i am sure that the problem is down to the PO's modifications of the electric system.
As the charging wires goes by the right hand handle bar switch i think PO has connected something wrong in the head light housing.
As we always have to use daylight lighting here in Sweden I will bypass the handle bar switch and connect wires directly to the rectifyer. Then hopefully this problem will be solved.

MNellis said:
Which nut are you getting the leaking from? If it's one of the two outside nuts on the right side then, as Steve said, it could just be a washer. If it's leaking out any of the other nuts then you've probably got a bad head gasket.

I would do a compression check, especially if the oil seepage is at any location other than those two outside nuts.
It is nut no 2 that is leaking.

Yesterday I torqued it down with some sealant but when I took a ride it is still leaking.

I should mention that the left cylinder is smoking and I have smoke coming out of the breather tube.

This engine should according to PO have been renovated 500 miles ago but he did not say what year this renovation took place.

My suspicion is that the bike has been standing in some moist barn on the kickstand for 5 - 10 years after this renovation. He said that the rings would bed in if I rode the bike for another 500 miles but I am starting to have my doubts.

PS. I have moved this question to the CB450 section of this forum.
http://www.hondatwins.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=1972

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will ride this bike during the fall trying to find most of it's problems so I can fix them during the winter months when I am going to fix it up.

I am not aiming on a concouse renovation. I ride my old bikes alot ( 5-6000 miles a year) so I will try to make the bike look good and in the same time make it durable so I can use it all year around (we seldome have that white stuff on the ground here in southern Sweden).

PS. I hope you understand my english as my technical expressions are not always correct. Please ask if there is something you don't understand. I will not be offended by that. :)

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
very nice stable, welcome to the site.

Jason

·
Registered
163 Posts
Very nice meatballs too Ronny! :shock: :D WELCOME! :cool:

Randy

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Dang, this guy delievers when asked!! ;) I saw those earlier today just after eating and was like oh no... But now they're looking EXCELLENT! :p

GB :mrgreen:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.