Honda Twins banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Just wanted to know if anyone has experienced the same problem I have with my 1976 360.
Since I purchased the bike about a month ago I had a few electrical problems but the bike would run ok but the indicators and lights wouldn't work properly. After investigation I found that the two large connectors behind the carbs were actually the wrong way round. I swapped them back and everything that previously didn't work did but now the horn and the starter didn't. After checking all the wiring that I could without stripping the whole loom I found that for some reason the horn button and the starter button were not earthing properly through the bars. I have rectified this by running a separate earth wire to the bar clamp which works fine. I have numerous unanswered questions about my findings but happy that I've managed to sort it. I noticed that the bars are mounted on to rubber washers. Is this normal? As this may be the reason it's not earthing. Does anybody have any thoughts on the problems I've encountered.

Cheers Paul

·
Registered
635 Posts
Paul; You've discovered the reason it didn't work! There should be a small ground wire from the handlebars to inside the headlamp bucket so no worries now. I had the same problem on my 360.
Nigel.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Paul; You've discovered the reason it didn't work! There should be a small ground wire from the handlebars to inside the headlamp bucket so no worries now. I had the same problem on my 360.
Nigel.
That's good to know. That's exactly what I've done to combat the problem. Obviously the guys at Honda came up with the same solution ?

·
Registered
9,797 Posts
Auto part Vehicle Motorcycle accessories Engine Wheel

Taken from one of Yendor's posts.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
The Handle Bar Clamps on the Triple Tree are Grounded to the Bars.

BUT... They are mounted in the Triple Tree via Rubber Shock Bushings that insolates them from the Triple Tree.

SO you have to provide an OUTSIDE Circuit for the ground. - A simple Jumper Wire.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Better yet to run that ground wire into the headlight and connect it to the ground wire in the main harness. That way you don't have to depend on the control cables or the steering head bearings to provide a ground connection.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.