1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

Dylan from Melbourne in Australia

Currently remanufacturing a 76 CJ360t

Found under a tree where it had sat since the farmers son had abandoned it there with motor failure 15 years prior.

Currently wishing i picked something easier for my first resto.

Cheers guys and Gals glad to be here.

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Welcome Dylan. You may have been able to find a project that needed less work to get going but I don't know of any type of bike you could have picked that would have had as much help available as you're going to find here.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Hello from the States! Congratulations on your choice! :lol:
Seriously, welcome to the group. :)

·
Registered
272 Posts
Welcome. I'm doing a CJ360T as well.

Can't wait to see your progress.

Todd

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry for no pics, but thanks for the kind words and all the advice/tips ive picked up from this site so far. You are all !Very Helpfull!
If it dosn't annoy anyone I will make a few posts here until i have enough to split off into a build thread. This is mainly to help me keep track.
I have done a lot but I am sooo slack on photos. Dont even have a camera, just the one in my mobile phone... :lol:

so far;

*Stripped to bare bones
*Welded (stitched) frame seams / joints
*About 8 hours worth filings and sanding casting dags and seams...dodgy honda castings (I work in injection molding so allow me to be picky)
*Machined bronze swing arm bushes and inverted swing arm shock mounts
*Secondhand seat base from states. Stripped, Antirust primer then Gloss Black (mine was beyond reclaiming)
*Cafe Racer hump foam and cover installed.
*Bead blasted and VHT gloss blacked+ cleared head/rocker cover/barrels (all with flatted+polished fins)
*Painted forks/swing arm/yokes/caliper/handlebar clamps/gauge cans/side-covers Gloss Black
*Powdercoated Rims Satin Black
*Modified and painted hubs (with flatted+polished fins and clear coated)
*Re chromed exhaust clamps
*Re Zinc plated front spokes
*Sent barrels off for rebore and hone

purchased (just a taste)
*New rear spokes (unslavagable) and all new nipples
*Fork seals/Boots/Retaining clips/etc
*Front brake seals/piston/lines/diphragm etc
*.50 over pistons/gudgeons/clips
*Gabriel read shocks (+10mm higher to cope with my 90kg weight....as for how im going to fit 6"2' on a CJ...well... :? )
*Valve guides/seals/clips etc
*NOS cam chain
*Gear selector shaft (mine had no drum engagement teeth left on it...and honda will only supply the assembly....)
*F+R sprockets
*Speedmoto VM32 kit (carbs filters manifolds cables grips throttle tube etc)
*NOS CJ headers and collector box (what a score...90AUD!)
*NOS rocker arms (mine pitted) cam is ok though...weird.
*Tapered steering head bearings
*F+R wheel bearings + seals
*Mikes XS 650 coil x2 and associated HT cables and clips
*Clubman bars
*20" reverse cone muffler
*Early 90's GSXR rear sets (modded to suit)
*Fork gators
*New rectifier
*All gaskets
*Almost every seal...

So much more I could add to that list but its starting to look expensive so I will stop. :oops:
Its been over 2 years since i started on this journey now and im not even out of the shed yet.
Another order from CMSL and David Silver Spares tonight and i will be another step closer.
I will endeavor to grab a few photos of my various piles of "motorbike" asap.

Cheers,
Dylan

I am chasing a decent regulator, a fuel flap seal, and 1 inlet valve guide.

17518 388 670 1 fuel flap seal
12206 362 305 1 guide valve inlet

If you have any clues please contact me. Note that im in Australia ;)

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
just to prove im doin some thing :mrgreen:

2 hours after i picked it up.

15 years sitting with a valve open

the milk white goop sump oil

old seat base. wire wheeled and tried welding but just impossible.

new base stripped. from the USA, sweet conversion rate at the moment :!:

and coated, and coated (please dont rust)

too shiny. must make rest of bike shiny now...

frame welded

gloss bits

alloy bits

Also, my front wheel bearings had rusted themselves to the axle. Dont know if anyone has had this issue before, or to this extent. First side came out ok with gentle force, then the spacer tube stayed stuck after weeks of penetrant soaking and swearing. Heat and quench finally got it loose (and a pipe wrench...)
The last bearing was the really tricky part, as its up hard against the speedo drive to there isnt anything to get bearing pullers on, or any wedges behind it. This was my solution after staring at the problem for many nights.
It will wreck your bearing (as you weld a piece of plate to the outer race) but if your in this sort of rusy mess you wont be using the bearing again anyway.

Step 1; Make special jig out of special peice of scrap metal. mmm special.

Step 2; Weld the bastard.

Step 3; Sit steps of jig across vice jaws and carefully press axle out. Persuade with bigger and bigger hammers untill it pops. Note - Use lube to prevent scoring of bearing surfaces.

Step 4; Profit. Beer time.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Wow, great work so far. You bit off a huge piece to chew! Can't wait to see it running! Nice save.

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Go hard mate, be sure to keep us up to date with PLENTY of pics.

...and to quote Freddy Quimby after his clumsy french waiter smashed himself up..."I'm going to enjoy this" :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Wow you do like to challenge yourself! what a mess, keep the photos coming, I'm making popcorn for next instalment :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
mullet said:
I am chasing a decent regulator, a fuel flap seal, and 1 inlet valve guide.

17518 388 670 1 fuel flap seal
12206 362 305 1 guide valve inlet

If you have any clues please contact me. Note that im in Australia ;)
Ok i can help with the regulator, Honda can help with the fuel flap seal and David Silver (http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk) can help with the valve guide :D

Rising Sun Honda in Townsville has the fuel flap seal, should be no more than a $25 posted.
Phone : 07 4779 0211

Regulator I'll send you one for the cost of postage ;) PM me...

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Otr002; PM sent. :mrgreen:

Also, David Silver is N.A. for the valve guides. I purchased the very last -1- from CMSNL as well. They said they had a pair but just sent me one, and when i complained they explained they were out of stock also. jeepers...
The honda bloke laughs at me when i ask for parts now, as he is always out of whatever im asking for. Redwing Honda was my local but they shut down last year, Now there isnt a Honda Spare Parts place in all North Melbourne he told me.
I will DEFINITELY be trying Townsville. i just KEEP HEARING GOOD THINGS about them. Quite the reputation one end of the country to the other. :shock:

Thanks everyone.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
front forks de-burred, casting marks removed, degreased, inspected, reassembled with shell oil and new seals, caps etc. painted satin black to match wheels/frame. is nice.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
forgot to slip in a shot of my finished seat!

Meticulously prepared (removed all corrosion and wire wheeled to a shine) and lot of coats of primer/paint to hopefully stop any rust attacking it. My old base was SO far gone, scary thinking about your seat rusting away underneath you! definitely going to dry seat out after wet rides too!
Cover from Vietnam with the custom foam all pre-made. Its pretty nice and in 4 layers of varying density foam, but will have to road test before i can say if its comfortable or not :? Simmilar to one that, i think, Krukster might have?

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
You have shown what can be done even to some serious weather damage. Great work keep the pics and log up

·
Registered
93 Posts
Any updates on this project?
(from another beginner / Melbourne member!)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts