Honda Twins banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy to be here!

Have been cruising the site to wet my whistle as I was getting ready to pick up my first bike. Was a few week delay because of some massive snow that really shuts things down up here in Wa. Glad to be able to join now that the bike is in hand. Will Share about myself at the bottom of post if you're interested, but for now... the good stuff.

I have a CL175. Is a 69 but is either an early vin, or was actually built in 68 because it has the sloper engine and is all around a K0.

Bike is in descent cosmetic condition other than a few things. Struggling to find a good place to get parts as well. Did enjoy the reviews in the forum of a few vendors. Also not sure if my Clymer has the correct info, its says its for honda twins that are 150-200 and 65-78, but on the back it says for CL175's that are 69-73. Hopefully enough of the info is the same.

Here are the things I know it needs work on after just having it a few days.

-New spark plug wires/ connectors (one of them had a broken cover on the connector, looks like the put some air hose around it to keep it from arcing to the motor haha)
-Clutch not engaging (can feel cable move but is stiff, back wheel doesn't spin freely when trying to engage the clutch. Does go in and out of gear fine)
-Kick start only engaging at the bottom. Seems to get caught on something internal on the return. Also the Kick Lever does not look original and is loose. Some previous owner used a machine screw to key the lever to the kick start shaft. Likely will need a new kick start shaft, gear and lever and subsequently a gasket set if I am cracking the case.
-bar to go connect the chokes on the 2 carbs is missing
-exhaust guard is broken off at the back. Not a big deal but want to replace eventually.
-Needs new tires.

Looking forward to the project! Im somewhat mechanically inclined but havent gone deep in to any engine since high school. Do my own work on the cars but that has mostly been things like alternators, starters, some hub and c/v replacements. Sounds like an easy engine to work on though. Would love any pointers but speak slowly haha.

Now a bit about me! Im a proud new father of a baby girl! I am a youth pastor at a church 2 miles from my home in Everett, WA and spend a lot of time hunting (mostly ducks and upland birds with my German Wirehaired Pointer) and fishing. I play in a band with friends and get to play shows all the time which I enjoy.

Looking forward to learn about these old bikes and excited to be apart of the community!

Attachments

·
Registered
493 Posts
Welcome from Georgia.

Nice looking bike to start off with. Just take your time, enjoy, and good luck.

Plenty of good peeps here to help you through anything on these bikes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts