Honda Twins banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, just a quick introduction. Just bought my first bike, a 1976 Honda CB500T in candy antares red for $350. It needs a little work, but it's in spectacular shape for it's age. Was stored for 20yrs in a barn with about 22000 miles on it. Already tore the air boxes and carbs off and cleaned that all up. Right now I'm working on some wiring issues with the starter system. I repaired the starter switch (bad spring), but I'm getting no power to that side of the starter solenoid. Picked up a petcock in decent shape, as the filter assembly on mine was snapped off. Tank is extremely rusty after sitting for 20yrs with 1/2 a tank of fuel in it, but it doesn't leak anywhere, so I'll clean out the rust and kreem it. Needs a new front brake master cylinder, or the old one needs rebuilt and the mirror mount rethreaded, as it leaks and the mirror mount is stripped out pretty bad. Oil obviously needs changed, and the filter screen and centrifugal filter most likely need cleaned. I'll probably pull the cam chain cover and make sure the cam chain followers haven't been chewed up too bad, and everything is as it should be. Probably wouldn't hurt to take a look at the points either. Chain needs cleaned and lubed, and a new set of tires would probably be a good idea. After that, a new battery and seat cover and Little Red should be good to go!

It's my first bike, but not the first one I've worked on, and I've been doing my homework on this old girl. Parts are a little scarce, but not impossible to find, and should make for a good little ride.

If anyone has any tips or tricks for they think might be helpfull, please pass them along, I'm all ears :)

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Welcome to the group. The bike looks really nice and it sounds like you know where you're going with it. You've not only found the forum that has the information you may need along the way but you also have a neighbor who's a real expert on these old bikes. :D

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's the full size pic of the bike

That is fresh outta the back of the truck. All I had done at that point was get the front brake semi-functional so I could control it coming down the ramp off the truck. I'm getting ready to pull all the chrome off so my wife can take the bottle of chrome polish/rust remover to it while I continue working on the electrical. I won't have money for parts till tax time next year, so the mechanical issues won't get much done till then. I'm hoping to have it ready to go for next season though. Would love to get it up and running this year, but even if I did, I can't afford to transfer the title, insure and plate it this year. Really looking forward to it though, it's a beautiful bike!

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Great looking bike. I have the same bike and really like it. I also have a CB450 and it seems to be a bit less buzzy. I may try un attaching the top motor mount on the 500 to see if that helps. Good luck with the bike. Let us know if you can help.
Don

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did have a question for anyone who owns one of these. I tried the kick starter, just to see how easilly the engine rolled over, and I noticed something that is different than other bikes I've ridden. When I kick it over without applying the clutch, I can feel the engine grab like I would expect. However, if I kick it with the clutch pulled, I feel it grab once, then it feels like it's free-wheeling with virtually no resistance. With my brother's Yamaha DT250 I've been working on, I can feel the engine grab even with the clutch pulled when I kick it. Also, the starter doesn't seem to be able to spin the motor, regardless of the clutch in our out, direct from a 50amp charger/starter. Is this normal? I've got it to the point where I could jumper in the battery from my mower (which is sitting with a blown engine at the moment, errr...), fill the carb bowls with some gas, and try to start it, just to check the engine out, but I don't want to do any damage if the motor needs work.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
If the clutch is disengaged(lever pulled in) the kickstart won't work, the kickstart drives through the clutch, that's normal.
make sure the engine will turn over with the kicker before dealing with the electric starter.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, that makes more sense then. The DT250 I've been riding around won't start unless you pull the clutch, or kick it REALLY hard. Apparently it uses a different style of kick starter. The CB turns over with the kick starter, although it takes a bit more effort than the DT. Probably just tight from sitting for 20yrs. An oil change, alot of kicking to get the oil moving through it, and another oil change to get the last of the sludge out should probably help I would think.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got the starter electrical worked out enough to get the starter button working. Had to bypass the clutch and neutral safety, but the starter will run now.... Unfortunately, it only turns the engine over one rotation, then I just hear chain clatter. Not sure what the problem is now. Back to the manual I guess...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts