Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired a 1973 CB450 very similar to the one I owned over 40 years ago in high school. It is in great shape for a bike that old, last plated in 1986. I have been working on it as time allows since October. I have found this forum to be a very valuable resource and realized I never Introduced myself. I live in Indiana, close to Notre Dame University.
I finally have it running well and am pretty much done with it for now. I plan on replacing the clutch plates in the spring but don't plan on riding it much until then anyway since winter finally arrived here. Here is a before and after picture. As you can see, I started out with a pretty clean bike.

CB450 Day1.jpg
Final 450.jpg

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Yes, very nice indeed. Always great to see someone find a survivor and keep it that way, your bike is a great example. Beautiful!

·
Registered
277 Posts
What a beautiful bike. Thanks for sharing and welcome. I'm in So. IN right across from Louisville for now. Moving to FL in three weeks.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Very nice 450. Some worthwhile upgrades are: PAMCO ignition, dynal coils and Hagon rear shocks. Northern IN is a great place, my mother's family is from Lafayette and there are a lot of HT members there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. I am really trying hard to keep it stock looking. I did install the solid state regulator/rectifier. As you guys have found out, some parts are no longer available. I had to go with aftermarket carb floats and I think the starter clutch replacement parts were aftermarket. I am pleased with the number of parts you can still get for these, it has made it pretty easy. If it wasn’t for this forum, I don’t think I would ever have figured out the high idle issue.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Welcome to the forum! It’s always a pleasure to see a 450 in that condition but especially when the owner knows what he’s got and you don’t have to convince him please not to chop off the rear and rip off the air filters.
Keep on posting, your bike is beautiful.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Thanks. I am really trying hard to keep it stock looking. I did install the solid state regulator/rectifier. As you guys have found out, some parts are no longer available. I had to go with aftermarket carb floats and I think the starter clutch replacement parts were aftermarket. I am pleased with the number of parts you can still get for these, it has made it pretty easy. If it wasn’t for this forum, I don’t think I would ever have figured out the high idle issue.
So what was your high idle problem, and how did you solve it??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Once I would accelerate, the engine speed would hang at around 3,000 RPM. It ended up being the mechanical ignition advance mechanism. It was in need of cleaning and lubricating, and slightly shortening one of the two springs. Once the engine would speed up during acceleration, the mechanism would advance, but it would not return to the "no advance" state during idle. That was mostly caused by the mechanism being gummed up. I also noticed one of the springs was loose. Per advice given on the forum, I trimmed off a little bit of the end of the spring, effectively shortening it a little, and then reconnected it. I can't say it advances perfectly now since I have not viewed the advance with a timing light yet, but it must be pretty close as it seems to run really well. The fact that it always returns to the "non advance" state is what solved the high idle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts