Honda Twins banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all, very new guy here.
Got my first bike last year, and spent the last few months fixing and tuning it up (or at least figuring out what was wrong and having my friend wrench on it).
Its a 1973 CL450, and its totally rad - very much psyched on riding it all over the place.
Right now, the left carb is being cleaned, as the bike was doing that whole, 'idles kinda weak, does fine when you rev it to 2-3k RMPs, but sticks and doesn't come back down right away' thing. If we adjusted the right carb at idle, we could change the engine speed. If we adjusted the left carb at idle, nothing happened. Rev it up, and both carbs have an effect, so yeah, my best guess is a dirty left carb.
ANYWAY, this forum has been incredibly helpful as we went through troubleshooting all the little hiccups, so I just wanted to stop lurking and say thanks.
Looking forward to learning a lot more!

Edit: Oh, and I'm going to be looking for a CL/CB 175 as next year's project, if anyone has a titled beater laying around. ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Znabb said:
Hi Jay and welcome. Have any pictures of your CL450?
Sure do! Lets see how this works...
These first two are from the day I got it:

And these second two are after it was running, but before it was completely back together:

If it weren't for my friend's garage, the bike wouldn't have gotten done nearly as fast as it did.
Had to install new coils (and fab a bracket for them), plugs, plug boots, and plug cables, go over the wiring harness, install a new battery, buy all new cables, POR15 the tank, clean the carbs (and then clean them again apparently, haha), reset the timing, install new handlebar bushings, replace some bulbs, replace the exhaust collars (and crush gaskets), replace the gas cap seal, change the oil, and replace the blinkers... after my friend gingerly dropped her on the grass, haha. :roll: . Not too bad overall as we didn't have to mess with the engine, but my friend did most of the wrenching while I did most of the troubleshooting... I'd like to take something on all by myself, but my Brooklyn apartment isn't really conducive to such projects.
Oh, and apologies for the huge pictures. I tried using the BBCode img resize, but it wouldn't work for me. :?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Sweet Scrambler! Hope it runs as good as it looks.

Where did you get the bar bushings?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Meadus said:
Damn that looks good!
Thanks a lot dude, the PO was one of those dudes who kept it under blankets in his heated garage. Mice had gotten at the air filters and wiring, but thats about it.

mtnlvr said:
Sweet Scrambler! Hope it runs as good as it looks.

Where did you get the bar bushings?
Well, it runs ABOUT as good as it looks, which is to say it runs alright overall, but could use a little bit of a tune up.
With regard to the bushings, you can get them from eBay as GB said. I got mine from BikeBandit.com though.

MnBikeGuy said:
Great looking bike! Welcome, pull-up a chair and stay awhile.
Plannin' on it man, tons of helpful info round these parts.

·
Registered
140 Posts
MyAcademy said:
...With regard to the bushings, you can get them from eBay as GB said. I got mine from BikeBandit.com though...
I tried looking at BikeBandit for my 68 CL450 (which for some reason is listed as a 67 CL450 K0) and it appears that they are not available.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts