Honda Twins banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FWIW, I completed the certification and got my racing license on May 22nd at Blackhawk Farms in S. Beloit, IL.
The old 450 ran great. The big puffs of smoke I experienced at my shake down track day were due to the throttles being closed completely. I removed the idle stop screws as a back up in case my kill switch (cheap kill switch) didn't work. The completely closed throttle plates caused such a huge vacuum draw that it sucked oil past the valve seals. Problem solved. The GPS showed 94MPH on the straight.
The engine still misfires (or the valves float) at around 8K on the TACH. I re-installed the original tacjh and a NOS cable. On my first run, the tach pegged at 12K (and beyond) and stayed there. I'll mount it on the wall with a little sign that says "OOPS!!". I installed the tach off my 69 (the one that never would show more than 8500RPM and -- either valves were floating or points bouncing causing engine misfire) and it stayed at 0 RPM til I revved it. I set the idle at around 1500 and tried the new tach. The new tach, although advertised as fitting "CB Hondas up to 350, didn't mount the same so I had to drill new holes in my highly polished super fancy, 6061 aluminum alloy, tach mount. The NOS tach-- for a CB125, per the original Honda parts tag, with the handwritten note saying it was for Darryl Smith's CB125, "not paid", also showed 1500 RPM. So, it's on, it works very smoothly, hope it's right. The engine misfires at 8500 RPM on the new tach also.
We had a mock race at the end of the day (run in conjunction with a full CCS (Championship Cup Series) race schedule. It was supposed to be 6 laps, I counted 7, someone else said 8. I was worn out. I was gridded on the inside of row 5. 14 bikes ahead of me. I got a good start. Ended up in 6TH exiting turn one. I actually got to race with some riders for almost an entire lap. My goal was to not be lapped. No such luck. The instructors lapped me just at the end of the second lap. They were covering two miles in about 1:13 ~ 1:15. I was barely able to get under 1:40. My best lap was a 1:36.4. Even the GURL on the Ducati Monster SR4 passed me! But, at least she didn't lap me, she was two rows ahead of me and I got her at the start.
I certainly was the curiosity! People kept coming over and looking at my bike. I bet I talked to 100 people ---at least.
The atmosphere was great. Families, dogs, little kids-- knock out girls and women. Imagine going camping and everyone knows and really likes each other-- that's the best I can describe it. Great camaraderie!
I got a Pirelli T shirt and a Learning Curves CCS T shirt (the Pirelli T shirt was free. The other T shirt cost me 200 bucks!!)
Plus I got a Valentino Rossi tire for my grandson to swing on in his back yard. I left my old take off tire from my RC51 in my back yard when I moved and he wanted another one. Got him a big old gnarly, badly worn and gumballed 190/55ZR17 slick!
The amount of gray haired riders really made me feel good. Still, I was the oldest on the track-- by far.
I also was flabbergasted by the amount of Buells!. I mentioned it to one guy and he looked at me and said-- "Uh, Milwaukee??"
OH! Yeah!! That's right!! :oops: I said.
Matter of fact, the place was almost wall to wall Harley's as far as spectators go. Normally, at a road race, you are lucky to see one or two being ridden by spectators. Everyone is normally on sport bikes or BMW's, KTM's etc. On the way home, I bet I saw a thousand Harley's on their way north to the Motherland". I heard they were having a big to-do at the museum.
Blackhawk Farms is a real "local" track. The same people ride there year in and year out. The instructor speculated he had at least 5000 laps on that track since 1984. I had a heck of a time on the first tack session. I couldn't remember if the turn coming up was wide or tight. I'd over brake for one and damn near overshoot the next. Plus, many of the corners are "linked" meaning, you better get the first right to be set up for the next or you are in deep doo doo. The surface is smooth. I wasn't getting hardly any tire wear. I thought it was because I was going too slow (which I was). I lowered my pressure but it didn't really help that much. I did get a few "step outs" on the up shift exiting a turn before I lowered my pressure but, nothing serious. Like I said, the surface was smooth but-- the corners were nasty. Where the cars apex the corner, they dig up the asphalt. You only get about a 18" line along the curbing or your in it and it shakes your teeth out!
The bounce is gone on the corners since I had my tires rebalanced like I wanted with tape weights, dynamically. When I saw the weights on the opposite side of the rear sprocket and front disc, I knew is was done right. Those lead "sinkers" on the spokes may be politically correct but, they don't account for side to side imbalance.
They didn't give us much time between class and track sessions. I wasn't the only one that suffered dehydration. Saturday night I woke up about 2:30AM (guess you could call that Sunday morning --eh?) in screaming pain. Charlie horses in both my outer calf muscles. I swore there were going to break both my legs outward between the knee and the ankle! I walked and walked. Finally, I was able to sit for awhile. I drank water, ate a banana and, fell asleep in the drivers seat of my van.
Lesson learned!!
I woke up to the sound of some big Buell Rotax engines firing up for morning practice. I looked blearily around and crawled back into my bed in the back of my van. Slept another two hours! I was beat! Still AM!!
Might be a picture of me on a website called Gron4.com. I'm number 112

It was great!
Road America very soon. 4 miles per lap!! Talked to a guy who says his 16000RPM Yamaha R6 hit the rev limiter in three places on the track! That old 450 won't take redline for that long-- or often!!Got to get a 16T front and 34T rear so I can come up with the right combo to keep it just below redline in top gear on those loooong straights! plus-- got to get electronic ignition!! Mount a breather catch can, the crankcase catch pan, kinda go through everything and-- I'm off!!

I hate Chicago and I hate toll roads!!

·
Registered
357 Posts
What Steve said :!:
Looking forward to the next race report.

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
I can hear the excitement in you voice! Congratulations on the license and good luck with the racing.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Another lesson learned-- Don't ever--EVER buy (well, buy it all you want, it's cheaper than dog food--- just DO NOT eat it!) Dinty Moore --anything. It is a couple of steps below gruel.
Its a few more steps below dog food. I wouldn't feed it to my dog! The picture on the can looked tempting-- Chicken Pot Pie. Big chunks of chicken, big chunks of vegetables, little dumplings throughout. When I opened it, I saw little flecks of orange and nothing but a liquid that looked like it had been eaten previously. I thought: Well, those big, tasty chunks are probably all at the bottom. NOT! I could have drank it out of a glass.
I believe the flecks were carrot debris-- the only thing I could actually identify--probably the ground up peelings from the carrots that Purina put in their dog food. Then, those little "dumplings" were wads of -- of-- I don't know WHAT they were. NASTY.
I suspect that it was meant to be dog food but rejected by QC.
I won't go into details but, lets just say that I went from constipation Saturday, to gas Sunday to-- finally this morning, -- well, NUFF said. Let's just say, I'm relieved-- multiple times so far since I woke up.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Uh oh - a double-flush situation........
Gave you something to think about during the race though, right??

Your dog would gladly eat it (Dinty Moore) - but you wouldn't like the results.... :shock: :eek: :?

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
I don't know, I kind of like the Dinty Moore stuff. It sort of reminds me of the Navy chow we used to get, not bad at all.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MNellis said:
I don't know, I kind of like the Dinty Moore stuff. It sort of reminds me of the Navy chow we used to get, not bad at all.
Mike,
"Kind of liked it"? Now I have worries!!!
Actually, I used to eat the beef stew-- If I remember right, it wasn't too bad but-- that chicken pot pie is plain nasty.

I won't eat any of it-- ever again. Not when I can get Campbells chunky or similar. I was going to cook up a real dinner but, too tired Friday after the drive and too tired Saturday too.

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
WOZERD said:
MNellis said:
Mike,
"Kind of liked it"? Now I have worries!!!
Actually, I used to eat the beef stew-- If I remember right, it wasn't too bad but-- that chicken pot pie is plain nasty.

I won't eat any of it-- ever again. Not when I can get Campbells chunky or similar. I was going to cook up a real dinner but, too tired Friday after the drive and too tired Saturday too.
Yea, it was the Beef Stew I like. I'm a pretty normal guy otherwise. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts