Honda Twins banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if any of you have run into this gotcha. I just got back from getting my CB450 inspected to make it legal to ride on the road, and it failed by a rule I'd never heard of. A couple weeks ago I replaced the stock sealed beam headlight with a H4-type lens/reflector from Summit Racing and a LED bulb that's very bright but draws half the current of the sealed beam. The inspector told me that the headlight must be DOT-approved to pass, and this one apparently isn't. He's a good guy and told me he doesn't care what I do after he gives me a valid inspection sticker, but for that, I have to put the sealed beam back in.

I guess that's how you learn.;)

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Wow - so all the jacked-up 4x4s (whose lights are right your mirror) and new cars with LED headlights are approved? Man, that IS obscure to be enforced. Or Florida's cops are chumps and don't enforce it. Of course, Florida doesn't have inspections either. Never been challenged on anything like that, hopefully my 450 with the "road warrior" headlight isn't questioned... but then again, I won't be riding it at night either

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
There are no LED replacement bulbs that are DOT approved since they would have to be approved in the housing they are installed in. The H4 assembly I got is DOT approved since it was tested with the H4 bulb, once I changed to a LED replacement bulb it was no longer approved.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My whole objective going with the LED lamp was to get the current draw for the headlight down where it doesn't overtax the alternator. And I never ride at night, but in this state we have to have the headlight on all the time. One of the nice features of the CB450 is the switch that allows you to turn off the headlight. At least the inspection here doesn't fail the bike for having that switch!

·
Banned
854 Posts
Just a silly rule that is lagging behind the better LED lights.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
My whole objective going with the LED lamp was to get the current draw for the headlight down where it doesn't overtax the alternator. And I never ride at night, but in this state we have to have the headlight on all the time. One of the nice features of the CB450 is the switch that allows you to turn off the headlight. At least the inspection here doesn't fail the bike for having that switch!
He can't fail you for having the headlight switch, it was originally installed on the bike.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
I hate those bright LED lights shining in my eyes and mirrors while I am riding/driving. Even in the daylight. They are dangerous, they are not approved for DOT use for a reason. I wonder if "I was blinded by their headlights" would be a good defense for running over someone using them?
TOOLS

·
Banned
854 Posts
I wonder if they make a LED headlight that isn't super bright like the annoying ones but just like a standard H4 without the heat and big draw of power?

·
Registered
805 Posts
The ones that flicker slightly due to poorly combined (I'm guessing) components are the worst. I'm sure it'll be used as a defence, or at least by insurance companies to avoid paying out.

On a motorcycle who are you going to blind with one light that's fairly important for safety, just keep them off of cars and trucks that have 2-4 of them that are pointed straight into everyone's mirrors or aimed directly into oncoming eyes (and are fairly unnecessary for safety for any 4 wheeled vehicle driving at a reasonable speed)

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Yeah, I don't see how any cop in my area driving ahead of one of these 4x4 locals with LEDs doesn't get as annoyed by the elevated white beams in his mirror. Plenty of it going on here, and it doesn't help that most drivers tailgate anymore too as if they're in a hurry everywhere they go, puts their headlights right there...

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
I wonder if they make a LED headlight that isn't super bright like the annoying ones but just like a standard H4 without the heat and big draw of power?
Yes, I am running them on my bikes right now.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Epilogue to this little saga: I put the sealed beam Stanley back in the bike and it passed the re-inspection without any issue. Got it home and measured the current load of the Stanley low beam at 3.7 amps; swapped in the LED low beam - 2.7 amps. I decided it's not worth the annual hassle, so I'll be riding with the standard headlight (unless I find my battery going dead with normal riding conditions!)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts