Honda Twins banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning everyone. I must say that I am glad to be getting back into the motorcycle world. My first two motorcycles were 1980 CM400T's that I bought right out of high school and restored. Then, as so often happens, we decide to get married and some of the toys have to go. My wife got an engagement ring and my bikes were gone. A while back a friend from church said he had an old Honda motorcycle in his garage, and if I could get it out I could have it for free. And there is my current project. A 1971 CB350 with a shade over 6,000 miles. I just picked up a '72 CL350 this week as a parts bike. I downloaded the shop manual and I am really excited to get this bike back on the road where it belongs. :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is the parts bike I just picked up. I'm building the CB350 but I think I'm using the exhaust from the CL. Just because the mufflers on the CB were rotten. I have a set of chrome shorties, but I'm assuming that the stock CL mufflers won't require a rejet and I'm not sure the shorties. The CB is in pieces right now but reassembly is starting and should go quick. I'm going black with the whole bike. Repainted the frame satin black. Painted the fenders, tank, and side covers black with truck bedliner coating. They have a really cool satin look with a light texture. The motor is black with the fin edges filed, and aluminum colored clear coated points covers and engine covers. The exhaust pipes are wrapped with black exhaust wrap and the mufflers are flat black with polished heat shields. Here is the CL parts bike.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

This is the parts bike. I'm using the exhaust off the CL. I'm also using the front fender becuase I kinda like it without the support brackets. Everything else is going to be CB I think. I might use the CL seat because it is in better shape. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of the CB and right now it is wrapped in taped and plastic because I painted the motor. :D

·
Registered
68 Posts
Welcome to the site. Hope you can get some pictures up of your project. Sounds interesting.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I actually did use the CL seat with the CB tank. If you take the original hinge brackets on the seat, unbolt them, and move the back hole of the hinge to the front bolt on the seat pan and then weld in new bolts for the front holes it moves the seat back 5/8 of an inch, which exactly what you need. Do the same thing with the catch for the latch (move forward 5/8 of an inch). Cut off the old bolts and weld on new ones. It took about 15 minutes. :) Here's the pic.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts