Honda Twins banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. New member. First post. First motorcycle. Picked this up today for $400. Was told she is a ‘69 and has been in a garage and not rode since ‘88. No carbs. No key.

Hoping to explore this site and get everything I need to make her to breath again. Haven’t even done a compression test yet. Cylinders are free and moving.

anyone have any general feedback? Good deal? Keep original? I wanted a older bike to make into a scrambler. Not sure if this is it or not yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
JJMac may be right the serial number looks like a CB 360. $1.00 a cc is about right. Looks like a lot of work ahead but doable. Biggest problem will be finding a complete set of carbs. I would start the clean up but not buy anything till I had a set of carbs in my hand. No sense spending a lot of money on a parts bike if you cant find a set of carbs. Does look like most of the important stuff is there.
Just my thoughts.

Bill H

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
CB350 1968-69 350 Engine CB350E-1000001~1032290, Frame CB350-1000321~1068241

Engine and frame serial numbers do not match with rare exception.

The original carbs were 350A which are expensive to rebuild. The later 3D or 722A carbs are much more available and all parts are available. All fit the same. The engine will run better on OE air filters rather than pods.

It would appear someone has updated the timing chain tensioner to the later version. Good update.

Be sure to check the mechanical advance mechanism for the points as they often are rusted or gummed up.

I think you did well on your purchase, early bikes and parts are increasing in value.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a CB350 with VM30s and a CL350 with VM28s. My CB350 runs better but that is not necessarily from the carbs. I did 3D print some adapters to use the stock air boxes with VM30s and it improved the performance slightly. My VM28s still have pod filters (only because I don't have another set of stock air boxes for them). I would l have to dig through my notes to see how they are currently jetted. I purchased the 30s off e-bay used, originally the Dime City kit. The 28s came from Niche as they have a nice kit. If I had to choose again, I would go with the 30's.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Hi there. New member. First post. First motorcycle. Picked this up today for $400...I wanted a older bike to make into a scrambler. Not sure if this is it or not yet.
As original as your bike appears to be, I'd recommend doing your best to keep it that way. There are plenty of hacked up bobbers and scramblers and choppers and those plank seat atrocities, but original bikes are getting harder to find each day, and they ain't gonna be making any more of them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the advice. I am going to keep it almost original as I can. Handle bars are slightly bent so I need new bars. I will see how bad the rust is on the chrome rims and fenders. I may powder coat them black when I do the frame.
I will not be hacking the frame and will try and polish up the tank as best I can and wax. I will probably get new rear shocks and upgrade the directional and tail lights. We will see.

all sorts of crapcame out of the tank. 20 yes of sediment. I have her soaking now with vinegar.

got spark on Both sides and compression. She burped with starter fluid.

so now on to ordering parts!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Check the compression on both cylinders, The tach should have a redline at 10,500 and many were run up higher with the results being broken rings. If it does have the manually adjusted cam chain tensioner instead of the very early oil tensioned one be sure to adjust it properly....not like the old manuals say to do it. Your cam chain rollers are probably tired. Look for black rubber chunks in the oil drain plug...The big steel one that a 19mm socket and a breaker bar fit.
If you put scrambler high pipes on it you will need a different foot peg bracket...or have some strange looking pegs. At 1000 ft elevation I converted many of the stock CB carbs to long foam filters, there was even a kit to install them and some spacers to put the thru bolt back in to hold the sidecovers in place. Be sure to support the carbs and filters with some ties or wire so they don't break you intake boots.
In 1972 i rode a 69 CB350 from wash state to nova scotia to watch the total eclipse of the sun (the eclipse mentioned in the old carly simon song).
Have fun with the old beasty and be sure to ride it don't hide it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
'68 (AFAIK) based on the tank style/paint. Though I hear there was overlap and inconsistency on parts/years. Beautiful bike, great color. Price seems good to me if you want an old bike, and why wouldnt you? (I'm all wound up on getting my '69 rolling again). If you're changing bars anyway, I think the Superbike bars (CB400F?) look better than the stock, and you can get them pre-drilled for the controls...That's what I'm doing anyway.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts