Honda Twins banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.

This is my first thread and the whole reason I signed up for this forum. I am currently rebuilding a 71 CB350 and need some advise on the frame (swingarm, tripple tree, etc.) paint. Looking back now I could have saved a butt load of time and effort getting the parts properly powder coated but with me having my 16 year old budget I decided to do it myself.
I have probably put in somewhere around 20 hours getting all of the old paint and corrosion off, prepping, priming, sanding, and painting so there is no going back now. The frame has 2 coats of primer each sanded, and two coats of VHT Roll-bar and Chassis paint. I sanded the first coat to keep things smooth (I don't know if this is normal procedure) and now have the last coat curing. My question is what I should do next. Sand this coat? Put on a clear coat? Wax this coat? I am lost.
Thanks in advance guys.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Before you "add" anything to that paint.. I would do a test. Some "rattle can" paints won't "polish" with a wax or top coated with clear without damaging it...

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick response. So is the expectation (norm) to just leave it on the top coat?

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Those of us that have painted frames shoot the last color coat and leave it alone, no clear on top or wax. Just paint.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, thanks for the clarification guys.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
and if you can afford it, have the frame powdercoated - well worth the money, it gives a wet-look, extremely glossy finish

·
Registered
5 Posts
You could think about 2k clear coat to have a more durable coat on top, but If you’re happy with the result leave it that way.
Whatever you do: don’t ever wax fresh paint until it is fully cured. Some paints need weeks, if not months, to loose the chemicals and moisture. Waxing would enclose it and you may get bubbles at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jeez, I can't believe how many responses there are. Thank you guys so much for the tips.

And, yes looking back I should have spent the $140 to get it blasted, treated, and powdered after spending $80 on paint and cleaner alone (not to mention smelling out my bathroom where it is curing). But hey its café right, its not supposed to be perfect :lol: . Guess it's just a good lesson for future rebuilds and makes me appreciate the process. Im sure i'll be posting some questions on engine reassembly in the coming weeks. Again, thanks so much for the help guys.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
It's what we do here, young brother... this group is a lot like the racing community, everyone knows what the other guy is up against and pretty much everyone is willing to help anyone. That's the way everything out to be in this world, right? :D Besides, it's great to see someone from a younger generation get involved with something as timeless as these vintage bikes are. Kudos to you. Now, we're going to need to see some pictures one of these days... :lol:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's what we do here, young brother... this group is a lot like the racing community, everyone knows what the other guy is up against and pretty much everyone is willing to help anyone. That's the way everything out to be in this world, right? :D Besides, it's great to see someone from a younger generation get involved with something as timeless as these vintage bikes are. Kudos to you. Now, we're going to need to see some pictures one of these days... :lol:
I am considering documenting the process in the build forum (it'l look good on a collage resume I assume:p). And let me tell you that your right, this is how it's supposed to be. I can tell this community is very strong and welcoming. I'll try to update you guys as i go on. Now just to wait a good 2 weeks for the paint to cure.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Definitely get a Project Log going. It'll refresh your memory on certain things and keep track of the trials and tribulations you'll experience.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts