Honda Twins banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my refurbishment project on my CB 450, I will need to get new mufflers but looking at complete systems for the bike, the cost is close to $400.00. My headpipes are in good shape but stained and I am looking at EMGO mufflers. The only problem is I want black, not chrome. If I want to paint them, if I rough up the chrome plating by sandblasting, will hi temp exhaust paint work? I don't want to blast a new pair of mufflers, only to have the paint start to flake off. I would really prefer a 2 into 1 system but the only one I found at Omar's is more than I can afford right now. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Terry

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Painted pipes tend to flake and/or rust if the primer and paint is not perfectly applied and (usually) baked on between coats..... Ceramic high-heat coatings are better, (and more expensive) but tend to be "fisheyed' in appearance.......This might explain the current popularity of "pipe-wrap"..... :D

·
Registered
91 Posts
Haoleman said:
In my refurbishment project on my CB 450, I will need to get new mufflers but looking at complete systems for the bike, the cost is close to $400.00. My headpipes are in good shape but stained and I am looking at EMGO mufflers. The only problem is I want black, not chrome. If I want to paint them, if I rough up the chrome plating by sandblasting, will hi temp exhaust paint work? I don't want to blast a new pair of mufflers, only to have the paint start to flake off. I would really prefer a 2 into 1 system but the only one I found at Omar's is more than I can afford right now. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Terry
a mate of mine used exhaust tape to cover his headers and pipes (black) the bike looked evil and it was done for under $40.00 nz

·
Premium Member
7,865 Posts
My guy charges $150 to sandblast the chrome off and ceramic coat...it comes out georgeous...no fish eye...$80 if there is no chrome to remove.

no matter how careful I am with prep I've never had high temp paint last more than 18 months...I'll never use it again

1 - 4 of 4 Posts