Honda Twins banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What should the voltage from the blue and white wires going to the CDI be ? wondering if this voltage is low is why I'm not getting spark. Been at this a while. Whoever owned this bike before was an animal..

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
The ignition system is powered by it's own windings in the alternator and is separate from the rest of the electrical system. There is a black wire with a white stripe that exits the CDI box below the gas tank and ahead of the engine. This wire connects to the ignition switch and kill switch. When either switch is placed to off it connects this wire to ground effectively "shorting out" the ignition system. There is no battery power to the ignition system.

Topic moved to SOHC electrical.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cool. I knew about the black and white wire. I was getting a little confused because I was told that "The Blue and White connector is the CDI power circuit, Pink and Green is the advancer circuit, Lt.Blue and Brown is the base timing circuit. The coil gets it's power through the CDI unit"

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
cool. I knew about the black and white wire. I was getting a little confused because I was told that "The Blue and White connector is the CDI power circuit, Pink and Green is the advancer circuit, Lt.Blue and Brown is the base timing circuit. The coil gets it's power through the CDI unit"
Didn't mean to confuse the issue, just clarifying which wires were related to what coming out of the stator. A couple of people have tried measuring the output of the Blue and White wires with mixed results, nothing that can be relied on.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, I appreciate all the input I can get from you guys on here! just trying to figure out if I can determine whats causing the low volts to the ignition coil. CDI is brand new from CDI magician. I figured if the cdi is sending power to the ignition coil the cdi has to be getting that power from somewhere. If I can figure out if the cdi isn't getting enough juice I can narrow down the problem a bit further.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Are the resistances of the stator in spec? If so then the only other thing would be the magnetism of the rotor and there's no way to judge/measure that really. If it was banged on, hit with a hammer, etc then the magnetism could easily be affected.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts