Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All:

up until two years ago I was on here every day. I'd been building and racing Honda twins for 20+ years.

so what happened two years ago you ask? I bought a boat :) now I spend all my time on the boat.

as such I've come to terms with the fact that I'm not likely to get back into restoring Honda twins.

I am there fore putting up all the Honda twins stuff I have for sale.

I've probably spent at least $7k in all the stuff I've got on my shelves; quite a bit of it is new and NOS parts, including freshly machined parts ready to bolt one, freshly powdercoated parts ready to bold on, etc. none of it is junk. all of it is in great shape. Many of the NOS parts I've been collecting for decades when prices were much less than now...

there are enough parts to build two complete bikes, 4 complete engines, 4 sets of wheels, 4 front ends, also includes body parts, etc. with lots of left overs.

the bikes I had planned on building and collected parts for were:
1:) 1971 CB350 K2 (with title) - this one was going to be a honda bagger with the following features:
OEM hondaline batwing fairing and saddle bags
NOS Chrome highway crash bars
Hondaline Triple A luggage rack.
NOS exhaust system, yes, a Brand New, honda factory made still in the wrapper CB350 K4 exhaust system that's never been mounted, and sitting on a shelf since 1972.
K4 engine with a fully build top end including billet Megacycle 123-20 cam (all machine work on the head and cylinders is done) 5mm stem valves with racing springs, VM30 carbs with port matched intake boots.
DiD rims with Pirelli radial tires with NOS spokes.
41mm front forks (two complete sets to choose from, NT650 and SV650 including brakes and triple trees)
CB350 K1 tank with all emblems and knee pads.
plus everything else to build it and lots of things I'm forgetting to be sure

2:)1972 SL350K2 - (bill of sale only) this one was going to be a bubba shobert replica flat tracker
fiberglass flattracker tail with seat and matching fiberglass tank (needs to be epoxy sealed to protect against ethanol)
NOS stock top end cylinders machined but head still needs to be built.
two sets of pipes, OEM SL350 pipes (rarer than hens teach) and a vintage NOS Hooker 2 into 1 that's has some fabrication work done for mounting mock uk up
Kawasaki KDX175 front end
plus everything else to build it and lots of things I'm forgetting to be sure

in addition to the above, I have lots of extra stuff as well:
rims, DID, Akront rain catchers, etc.
boxes of NOS spokes for at least 4 sets of wheels
brand new still in the wrapper Pirelli radial tires (intended for bagger bike above)
hubs including several for disk brakes Yamaha XH650, suzuki GT550 (great racing drum brake) CB450, CB350, SL350, etc
lots of switches,
several exhaust systems (one full on race exhaust that came from my championship winning race bike that's been freshly ceramic coated and looks brand new)
enough engine parts to build two CB motors and 2 SL motors.
freshly powdercoated (chrome powdercoat) fenders from a CB350 K0 with lights.
lots of powdercoated brackets and bits. several sets of headlight tins and seats
lots of new sets of points, cables, fork gaiters, brake shoes, fuel filters.
3 or 4 sets of NOS honda gasket and seal kits.
several sets of carburators both mikuni and Kehein along with new OEM air filters and K&Ns,
wiring harnesses,

just too much to list.

prefer to sell it all together...

Priced at $3,000 for everything.

Here's a few of the bikes I've built
IMG_0344[1].jpg IMG_1991[1].jpg IMG_2019[1].jpg IMG_0017[1].jpg

In addition to (and not included with) the parts listed above I will soon be listing two bikes will also be foe sale.
Bike 1:) CB350K0 concourse restoration...$8k in NOS parts, chrome, powdercoat and paint (Marbles Motors did the OEM factory matched paint on NOS tins with NOS badges)
Bike 2:) CB350K5 no expenses spared Cafe racer...about $12K invested in build...best of everything starts up, runs great, idles, makes about 40 HP at the wheel, fully braced frame with very high end everything. looks like a factory built bike...yeah really. done in Mike Hailwood colors

I'm not unrealistic and expecting to recoup what I have in the bikes but I'm also not giving them away either.

PM me if interested I can send you lots of high res photos and discuss the builds or the parts....I'm located near Annapolis, MD...no disappointments or stories for the bikes or the bits.

thanks for reading

John AKA Outobie

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Sorry to see you go. I understand, as best I can, your reasoning... and I wish you and your family good luck in the future. Enjoy that boat!

·
Premium Member
7,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
thanks AncientDad

at least I'm still into twins...twin engines that is :)

I'm sure someone else will be able to use this stuff...better than having it sit on my shelves any longer.

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
There's a common saying around here. "There are two of the happiest days in a boater's life. The day he bought the boat and the day he sold it.". Just kidding though. Enjoy your boat.

·
Premium Member
7,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
we got an older 27' cabin cruiser last year to see if we would use it and try different activities to see what we liked best. the whole family loved it and we used it every chance we could...about 300 hours in 2 seasons...we fish, go on overnight trips, go to the sandbar, watersports and just cruise to dinner and to visit friends.

now that we know what we like we're shopping for a bigger and newer boat for next year and a 2nd small skiff for the kids who all now have their boating licenses.

we want something that's more comfortable for all of us to take longer trips on.

I"ve done the cross country thing on bikes a few times...now I want to do some exploring by boat...up to Main, down to Florida and over to the islands in the Caribbean.

I will say this...working on bikes was a lot easier than working on boats...so many systems on boats and soooo many hard to reach places in extremely uncomfortable positions.

I could buy a new Harley every year for what my annual boating expenses have become

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
$3k a crazy deal for those parts!!! Too bad 3000 miles separates me from them...

Thank you for sharing your experience and passion with this forum. Your and Steve's contributions have been instrumental to the success of honda twins. While 350 enthusiasts will no longer have the privilege of having you respond directly to their questions, your knowledge will live on in the search function. Take care, and enjoy everything life has to offer!

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
I will say this...working on bikes was a lot easier than working on boats...so many systems on boats and soooo many hard to reach places in extremely uncomfortable positions.

I could buy a new Harley every year for what my annual boating expenses have become

And that's assuming you have your own dock. The monthly expense of that and maintenance are the main things keeping me from buying a boat myself.
Saltwater boats require a lot more maintenance than freshwater.

·
Registered
467 Posts
The day will come when we all feel it's time to give up current hobbies, for various reasons. I wish you the best in the new memories you are creating with family.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
John,
sounds like a good move. Keep us posted on how you do with the sale. We are always interested in what our beloved projects are worth. BTW- I may suggest you keep one of the bikes. They don't take up much space, are easy to store and reasonable to insure. I understand about not having time. I went through the same thing when my kid was growing up. It will be there anytime you need therapy. Post some pictures of the boat!

·
Premium Member
7,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
E85F0883-6584-4EA5-9099-3510068795C3.jpg

Hers the boat when I got 2A564581-6600-439C-9657-3B55AA640480.jpg AEBDCD80-9308-4DBE-A371-82C0426FD4B6.jpg EDF7D5F6-4FAF-4C53-9B76-D14CC2E233E9.jpg it last year

lots done since then

1987 tiara with twin small Block Chevy 350s.

Ive reworked half the boat so far

welded holes in the fresh water tanks

replaced all wiring and plumbing

caught up on all engine and drive maintenance

repaired a soft spot on the fiberglass deck

built a teak pulpet and installed an electric windlass and raw water wash down system
installed new gps

rebuilt the head
installed new wiper motors

installed new electric helm chair...and on and on

im loving it ��

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
$3k a crazy deal for those parts!!! Too bad 3000 miles separates me from them...

Thank you for sharing your experience and passion with this forum. Your and Steve's contributions have been instrumental to the success of honda twins. While 350 enthusiasts will no longer have the privilege of having you respond directly to their questions, your knowledge will live on in the search function. Take care, and enjoy everything life has to offer!
Thank you Chris.

this forum has been lots of fun and has lots of really great people

i wish I could have met you and quite a few others in person.

biker folks are great people to be around

i may not be on the forum much any more but will still get any pm/emails sent

·
Premium Member
7,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And that's assuming you have your own dock. The monthly expense of that and maintenance are the main things keeping me from buying a boat myself.
Saltwater boats require a lot more maintenance than freshwater.
im on the Chesapeake which is considered brackish water... not fresh not ocean, but somewhat salty

im 3 blocks from the water and my marina slip costs $3600 per year. There are less expensive options but having it at the end of the street in he water and ready to go let’s us use it a lot.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Good luck on your new avenue. We are definitely going to miss you and your input/knowledge here. All the best to you and yours.....Enjoy !

·
Premium Member
7,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
IMG_2868[1].jpg IMG_2862[1].jpg IMG_2826[1].jpg IMG_2842[1].jpg
hondaline saddle bags, head with titanium springs & seats with 5mm stem valves with port matched intake boots and some mild port work (ready for the Megacycle 123-20 cam and Mikuni VM30 carbs). the laced wheel set is for the bagger project black rear and silver front complete with stainless spokes, new bearing, new spocket bushings installed and the front has a GT550 titan hub that's been blueprinted and arched in race shoes the Suzuki hub has been machined to work with K4 fork spacing (best stock drum for the track and perfect for the bagger's extra weight) these are ready to mount.. plus a set of NOS stock rims, a set of rare Italian raincatcher rims +1 size front and rear, brand new Takasago aluminum rims in +1 CL350 sizes (intended for the flat tracker build). rear fender with fresh powdercoated chrome ready to boly on to the bagger project. Steel headlight shell from a K0 with lots of NOS carb parts including slides and jets and gasket sets, NOS K4 fork chrome trim covers, etc.

·
Premium Member
7,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
IMG_2861[1].jpg IMG_2858[1].jpg IMG_2836[1].jpg IMG_2849[1].jpg
tanks, K0 and fiberglass flattracker with side covers, nos highway bars, NOS gasket and seal kits., Honda HaWK nt650 FRONT END AND sUZUki sv650 front end.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
IMG_2857[1].jpg IMG_2855[1].jpg IMG_2840[1].jpg IMG_2845[1].jpg IMG_2851[2].jpg

Brakes, NOS air filters, etc, swingarms, NOS K4 speedometer, so much NOS too much to list, ignitions, spokes, badges, emblems, gaiters, billet Megacycle cam, gas caps, petcocks, blinkers, chrome trim bits, switches, exhaust pieces, frames, nos pistons & rings with freshly machined cylinders ready to install.

that large Brembo brake rotor bolts to the Yamaha XS650 front hub pictured in one of the boxes and mounts to the NT650 front fork...needs some machine work on the caliper spacing and axle spacers but not a tough job...I already mocked it up and validated the fit and what the bracket would need to look like...(I've made these before :))

·
Premium Member
7,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
those were some of the boxes that were easy to get to. to get to the rest I need to move a car out of the way that I just found out has a dead battery when I went to move it.

in those boxes are all the exhaust systems among other things. View attachment 265566

here's several sets of carbs ready to bolt on...mikuni and Kehein. plus lot's of jets, slides, etc...ignition, tubes, spokes, ...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi John, thanks for posting the pictures and I'm looking forward to seeing the exhaust pics and anything else you may have. From what I've seen so far I'll take everything and will be able to pick it all up in a couple of weeks. The bagger isn't really my thing but the flat tracker would be fun to complete. That nice NOS exhaust, wheels, and various parts would be for my sons CB350. After that I'll have to see what I can come up with. I'll call you in a couple of days to arrange $ transfer and schedule a set time for pickup. Look forward to talking to you..............Ben

·
Registered
80 Posts
I also wanted to add as well, if anyone decides to purchase one of those beautiful and complete bikes from outobie I'm bringing the parts and projects back to Michigan and could bring one back with me.

·
Premium Member
7,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
7E9336DA-FD04-46A0-B098-213EDDFD1B2E.jpg

Heres the bikes by the way first time in the sun this year

1 - 20 of 47 Posts