Honda Twins banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finally at the point of getting my bike to run, after it not having run in more than 20 years!
I am getting fuel, getting air, and am getting spark but I don't believe I have the timing just right.

Gap set for left point on compression stroke of left cylinder, set to where the point just opens as crank approaches LF mark. Then rotate 180 degrees to set the gap on the right point. All seems good, gap is correct and according to the manual I have it timed. When pulling the plug, and grounding to frame I get spark off both plugs.
When trying to start the bike up I get backfires and have had a few puffs come back through the right carb.

In my experience with cars this generally means the timing is off. I pulled the plugs, and they smell like gas so it is for sure getting fuel.
Anyone have any insight?

·
Sensei
27,171 Posts
Spark MUST occur EXACTLY AT LF and F alignments on their respective compression strokes......

Phone while at bike and we can get it corrected in a few minutes......540-525-5199

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Spark MUST occur EXACTLY AT LF and F alignments on their respective compression strokes......

Phone while at bike and we can get it corrected in a few minutes......540-525-5199

Thank you very much for the offer!
Would it be ok if I called tomorrow afternoon? I won't get off until around 8 tonight, and I would assume that is a little to late for you.

·
Sensei
27,171 Posts
Tonight is fine with me if you are willing to tackle it after your days work.....

I get calls from around the world, so the only rule is call, and IF I'm in bed sleeping (or whatever), I won't answer....Otherwise, I'm pretty much always available...

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
I always try a fresh set of spark plugs first.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They're brand new... In fact, almost every single thing except tank, forks(rebuilt), wheels, frame, and engine covers(say that cause engine has been entirely disassembled) is brand new. It's been a really long journey to this point

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Both rocker arms loose when the points break? What do you have for battery voltage when you're cranking it?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What do you mean by loose?

Good question on voltage, battery ran down yesterday when trying to start (I haven't charged this battery since I got it, it's proven to be really good) but i put it on a battery charger. I will check the voltage today when trying to start... do that by just putting a multimeter on the terminals when someone pushes start button? Though, I do believe the electrics are in perfect order.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Loose means some clearance between the valve and the rocker, to make sure that valve is closed(compression stroke). Use the kickstarter, so the starter won't drain the battery and you can get a better spark.

·
Registered
493 Posts
If all of that is new as you say, post some pictures,.

It has to be a beaut.

Stay with it though, you'll get it, coming from a guy that's about to roll mine to the back yard, and have a bon fire.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Haha, not a beauty by any means. My skills are not up to par with hardly anyone when it comes to such things. Its just meant to ride really hard and as fast as possible down dirt roads. I've had my fair share of moments where I just wanted to roll it outside and push it down a ditch. This was before the shocks were replaced, but pretty much looks the exact same other than that.

Moto almost done.jpg

·
Registered
36 Posts
Brother, that bikes look great. I'll be thrilled it my project turns out like that.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Applesolutely is a nice bike.

You've done a very good job on it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sprint and I got it runnning, then I forgot to tighten the advancer bolt so timing got thrown off again. But after I called him again today I got it all resolved once more and am now super confident in how to do it by myself. Very thankful for Steve's help. Now for carb tuning.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts