Honda Twins banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I might have access to a 305 Superhawk but it has no title. It occurs to me it might be easier to just get another frame that comes with a title. How hard is this to find? The bike would have to come all apart anyway so the work involved is not the issue.

car

·
Super Moderator
9,462 Posts
Depends on where you're at. In some jurisdictions it can be fairly easy to get a title in your situation, especially if you know who the last titled owner was. Other places make it nearly impossible but, there are always ways. Hang on, folks here know a few tricks.

·
Registered
173 Posts
What J-T said. Your state has it's own rules so check with your DMV. Here in Virginia it's easy to get a title for an "abandoned" vehicle. I got one for my SL350, it took a couple of months and cost $25.00. My buddy just got one for an old Chevy truck he's restoring - same deal.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
What state are you in? My 450 didn't have a title when I bought it. The Washington state title recovery process allowed me to identify the last registered owner. I contacted him and he agreed to meet me at a notary and sign over the tile.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Yep -- depends on the state. AZ has a really easy and cheap abandoned vehicle titling process. The Vermont registration process is pretty easy and straightforward too. I've done both several times with no problems, and both are much easier (and cheaper) than buying a titled frame and switching everything over.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I live in Virginia and was under the impression their DMV does not want to deal with any vehicle that does not have a title. The bike in question belongs to the deceased father of my buddy's son-in-law. The son in law does not have the title of this bike and appears to not be motivated to get a copy. I believe the bike was last registered in Conn. last century.

Pops, can you tell me more about the process in Virginia or at least a contact point in our DMV?

·
Registered
173 Posts
It's easy, you can do the whole thing online. Look on the Dmvnow.com website and search for "abandoned vehicle title" There's a step by step procedure. First step costs $25 and basically you submit the VIN so they can do a registration search. If nothing comes back, it's just a matter of filing paperwork and waiting the appropriate time (supposedly so any old owner can come forward) If it comes back registered to someone, there's a registered letter to send to them informing them of your intention to title the bike in your name. My buddy has to do this with his truck - it came back as last registered to someone in NY. The whole procedure takes 2 months and you get a clean title in your name. The fellow I bought my basket case from assured me it would work for me, he's done it to get titles for numerous bikes.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. I had a guy call me about a 500 Interceptor that I had sold to some wild eyed street squid many years previously who wanted to buy it from a local police auction. Said squid paid me cash so I was cool but apparently he never got it titled in his name and then at some point he abandoned it.

·
Registered
697 Posts
You should be able to file paperwork that says you sold a bike as well, which is a good precaution against a buyer doing something nefarious before transfering the title.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts