Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend gave me this CL 350 (her high school bike) that had been sitting in her garage for around 30 years or so, and said if I can get it running I can have it on one condition... I have to ride it to her house to get the title. The tank that was on it was rusted through so I bought one at a swap meet and switched it out. I’m not sure what year it is, maybe 68’?? The pipes are aftermarket and the tank that was on it had the knee pads on the sides. Anyways, I got it running tonight and plan on trying to fix it up for her and her husband who has cancer. Thought I should post it here if I can figure out how.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
If you really want to know the year of your bike post with the first part of the frame serial number (example: CL350-100xxxx). To really get into it do the same for the engine number too. My guess is it’s a 1970 CL by the fenders and headlamp shell. The side cover is white in your avatar photo and you say the tank that was on it had the knee rubbers. Those are indicative of a 68 or 69 CB. No CL had the rubbers on the gas tank. The tank you have on there now is a 1972 CL. How does the seat match up to the tank when it’s folded down?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I figured the tank with the rubbers that are on it was off a cb, I’ll post the serial number tomorrow when I get to the shop. The seat matches up ok, this tank was the best of the choices I had at the swap meet that day. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks tools, got lucky cuz I like the hanger look and I’m a bigger guy so the fit me pretty well

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here’s pictures of how the seat fits to the tank, and the frame (CL350-1061520) and engine (CL350E-1127181) serial numbers.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
You have a K1, it should have been released after 5/1/69 when the K1 came out but it looks like your VIN tag is missing from the neck picture, the date would be on it. K0 was frame #1000000 to 1033993, K1 from 1033994 to 2000000

CL350.jpg

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Yes, I think it's s '69. The seat is from a '68, though. The front fender has the little holes on the front for the early reflector that came on the '69 models. From what I can barely see of the rear, the tail light looks like one from a '68. The pipes are from a CB, with aftermarket mufflers. I wonder how that seat worked with the longer CB tank?

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Yes, I think it's s '69. The seat is from a '68, though. The front fender has the little holes on the front for the early reflector that came on the '69 models. From what I can barely see of the rear, the tail light looks like one from a '68. The pipes are from a CB, with aftermarket mufflers. I wonder how that seat worked with the longer CB tank?
You know, in this case maybe I should have said "the frame is a '69..." it's been around long enough to have had a few replacement pieces, maybe more than we realize

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I guess it’s kind of a Frankenstein bike... doesn’t really matter much to me, just curious on the year, and it sounds like theirs a few on it. Thanks for all the help, you guys are great. If I could figure out how to put a video on here I’d post one of it runnin but haven’t figured that out yet

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
To post a video, you have to upload it somewhere else and post a link to it here using the little "globe with chain link"-looking icon on the toolbar above the window for creating posts (right next to the smiley icon). You can use any storage spot on the internet as long as you can create a link address to it, like YouTube, Google Photos, Dropbox, etc. Example is my "test blast" link in my signature below - it leads to a video I uploaded to my YouTube account

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I might try to do that if I get brave enough, I’m not real tech advanced. Here’s a pic of the tail light someone was wondering about, and here’s the tank I took off the bike. Nice on the outside but it’s rusted through at the bottom

Attachments

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
I don’t think that’s a CB350 tank, too short which would explain how it was able to work with the seat on the bike. Anyone know what it’s from? Also, the bottom is kind of Swiss cheese but I’ve heard using tape as a temporary patch and then do a heavy Caswell treatment will seal it all up. As cool as it looks if it’s dent free it might be worth the expense and effort?

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
I think you're right, Chris - but even the knee pad looks too big now that I think about it. Repainted CB175?

View attachment 272538
Close Tom but I still don’t think that’s it. Looks like you have your work cut out for you with that Honda identification guide you own. I know you like a challenge! ;-)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The tank is absolutely dent free and the emblems are in good shape, it’s just the inside that is trash. Think it’s really worth fixin up? And is it better to go the caswell route or cut out the bad and plate it?

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
You'd be the better judge of it really, it's in your hands and sight so you know the true cosmetic condition. If it were a really nice tank with no damage and original paint, it would be pretty valuable.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ive Got some sheet metal sitting around, might try to tackle it at a later date, definatly won’t toss it yet, but main focus is on gettin this thing on the road by spring. Couple other concerns, the left (as you sit on the bike) rubber intake that the carb inserts in is ripped, Any suggestions on where to look for one?

1 - 20 of 60 Posts