Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My AC generator and the stator are pretty rusty. Not sure if they are still servicable. Is there a good method to remove the rust. I would like to clean them up and reinstall them then test them to see if everything is good. Thanks!

IMG_0245.jpg IMG_0246.jpg IMG_0247.jpg

·
Registered
167 Posts
I used some Evaporust to soak and totally clean up the rotor to new. It is completely safe for the magnets and plastic parts inside. There is also another brand Metal Rescue that does the same thing too, just soak for 24 hrs and it will be like new.

·
Premium Member
3,002 Posts
Rust really doesn't have anything to do with the performance of these parts.

They either rotate and the Magnetic field induces current into the windings or not.

The issues that come into play here are:
Are any of the windings shorted ?
Have the magnets lost any of their field potential over time ?
Are the Output Connections clean and making good contact?
Is the Regulator/Rectifier healthy?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! I wasn't sure if soaking it in the Rust Remover bath might damage anything. Can I do the same with the stator?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Rust really doesn't have anything to do with the performance of these parts.

They either rotate and the Magnetic field induces current into the windings or not.

The issues that come into play here are:
Are any of the windings shorted ?
Have the magnets lost any of their field potential over time ?
Are the Output Connections clean and making good contact?
Is the Regulator/Rectifier healthy?
It actually has the potential to damage the stator when all those rust particles are circulated inside the two pieces held in place with the magnetic field. It isn't worth taking a chance when the rotor and stator housing are showing lots of loose rust build up. The rust products cost in the low $20.00 range for 3.8 L and can be used many times before they are no longer effective.
IMO well worth the price and effort to clean those parts up properly.

Good points on cleaning up the connectors/contacts and good practice on all connectors on the bike. It will help the feeble electrical systems these bikes have work better with less resistance and loss in the corroded old connectors.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So it would be safe to soak the stator in the rust removal product?

·
Registered
167 Posts
There is no reason the soak the stator as it looks pretty clean of any real rust issues. I would just give it a good wipe with a degreaser or non chlorinated brake cleaner and call it good. Make sure you really clean up the wiring block connectors or wire connections if individual on the wiring. Years of corrosion and dirt from age will limit the ability of the connectors to pass the current well, and sometimes leads to overheated wiring and plugs in the connection area down there.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds great, Thanks Flyin! I will pay attention to the electrical connections and get them all cleaned up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts