Honda Twins banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 79 CB400, left rod bearing went,reading on here seems to be the one to go in low oil environment. And fearing the worst I sourced a 80 CB400 (or so I thought..vin is NC03E-2000***) case with crank/rods 6 speed tranny. It was missing piston,jugs,head,clutch,gearshift arm and flywheel. No problem there as I had those from my original engine and in good shape. Swapped the parts over, runs great.
The issue I have is with the transmission. I can rotate the shift drum by hand, without problems, but when assembled, trying to shift with the shifter it appears to bind somewhere. Eventually it will cycle thru the gears, but not without having to manipulate the shifter multiple times for each gear. So my question is 2 fold, is it actually and 80 CB400 and did I make a mistake in using the 79 shift arm?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
The 5 speed and 6 speed shift arms have different part numbers. I've looked a both a few years ago and I don't recall any real difference but memory may be incorrect, probably is. When shifting the transmission has to be turning some, use the output shaft to turn it while shifting. The shift arm you want is found on these models.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the links..
After looking at countless pictures of both, and to me they seemed identical, I wondered why Honda would use different part#s if they were the same and just different years. And then I saw it, the nub (for lack of a better word) on the arm of the later models is slightly shorter than the early ones. Maybe to compensate for the extra pin in the drum. Going to order one to see if that changes anything.

Again thanks for your help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts