Honda Twins banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi could some body please
tell me if there is a washer or part between the gear shifter and the front sprocket cover where the gear change
shaft come out. I have the washer and circle in place but still have some slide play in shaft.. my bike starts off nicely through the gears but after a couple of times back to first it wont come past neutral without force and jiggling shifter. have new clutch cable , pretty sure I have done all adjustments correctly . and cleaned and regreased clutch adjuster.. I am thinking I have to get the sideways movement out of the shaft .hope this make sense. Kanga

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Kanga,
It would be helpful to know what bike you are working on. It looks like a CB450 DOHC in your avatar. It is normal for the gear change shaft on the DOHC to have side play. Usually when it is hard to find neutral, it is because the clutch is not fully disengaging. The 10-20 mm dimension at the end of the clutch lever is very important. I always go for the 10 mm side of the adjustment. I have found over time (miles) the adjustment measurement gets looser and eventually it starts to get harder to find neutral.

Honda CB450K5 Owner’s Manual (1972)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi Jim my bike is a cb450 DOHC I find neutral very easily . the gears work normally in all gears. The problem is it wont go into 2nd gear on the way up but if I reach down while the bike is still moving I can pull it into 2nd with or without using the clutch ,goes back down easily to 1st. I am wondering :Should I replace the clutch plates.?.... The clutch feels good when I take off and the bike will idle in gear with clutch in. I will adjust to get the 10mm to 20mm and get back . thank you very much for your help Jim. Kanga

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
The shifting issue has nothing to do with the clutch. Is it rolling or stationary when you are trying to shift it? Motorcycle transmissions normally don't shift well unless the gears are turning to allow the shift dogs to mesh.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I'm guessing it's the "pizza cutter" detent roller and maybe the star-shaped detent end (called the "gear shift center", #8 below) for the shift drum... I had to change mine too while it's down right now, mine had difficulty going all the way to second gear at times after it got hot and I found wear on the tips of the star as well as slop in the pin for the roller on the detent arm (#11 below). #11 is NLA and impossible to find as NOS, so I had to repair mine, and I had a good used #8 from another engine

https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb450k5-1972-usa_model453/partslist/E++15.html#results

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Easiest was to describe: To ride my bike anywhere I have to reach down and yank hard to get it into 2nd (while bike is moving) It wont go into 2nd with my foot , it is too tight.. I pull it into 2nd with my left hand without using the clutch....Everything else is normal shifting up to 5th and down to 1st . selects neutral no problems .does not jump out of 2nd gear once selected . Does it every time .

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tom I found the the pizza cutter and removed from a spare motor . where is the Star -shaped detent thanks

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Tom I found the the pizza cutter and removed from a spare motor . where is the Star -shaped detent thanks
First, check the tolerance on the roller to see if it is sloppy on the pin - I had 2 extras from spare engines and both of them were just as worn as the one I had been using, so having a spare may not mean it's a good part. There should be no slop or looseness of the roller on the pin that is staked in the arm. There should be no wear on the tips of the star detent either, if there are grooves in the tips of the "star" then it needs to be replaced as well. Here is what you're looking for.

450shift drum.jpg

The screw on the far left goes through the neutral detent plate (almost circular) that covers the start-shaped detent for the gear positions, and all of it is attached to the end of the shift drum by the "Phillips" screw

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Good large detent rollers are hard to find. I have a couple and they are worn. On my 450 i made a new pin for the roller. The selector star wears too. The pizza cutter is too thin. I had my selector star TIG welded and reground the wear faces with a Dremel. I got some pictures of the process around is you are interested.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts