Honda Twins banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all. i hope everybody is having a great summer and buzzing around on their bikes, or at least wrenching and having fun...

i've been on and off the road with a few issues here and there and the latest seems to be a stuck gear shift lever. i've searched the boards here but haven't really found the question or answer i'm looking for. i'll be, in say, second and coming to a light, shift down to first so that i can eventually get to neutral and that shift into first will get stuck. my shifter will get stuck "down." a wiggle up with my foot and it snaps back up but then i'm back in to second and well, it takes some getting used to. i've looked for a schematic of the shifter spring but i'm not 100% what i'm looking for and further i'd love some more details on replacing one. if in fact that is my problem. anybody, chime in here...

seth

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks steve. hope your good, worked out the last gremilin questions i had for you myself before calling you last time...

stopper, shift drum. $5.78 according to bikebandit. hmmm. can i even access that with my engine still in the bike steve? how? brief steps, process, special tools? if it's not that any other suggestions on what it could be based solely on my description?

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
uhohferris said:
thanks steve. hope your good, worked out the last gremilin questions i had for you myself before calling you last time...

stopper, shift drum. $5.78 according to bikebandit. hmmm. can i even access that with my engine still in the bike steve? how? brief steps, process, special tools? if it's not that any other suggestions on what it could be based solely on my description?

Though you asked Steve, I'll answer.
The part is no longer available from Honda, and is hard to find.

You'll need to drain the oil, pull off the clutch cover, remove the oil filter (special tool), then the clutch.
Then pull off the counter sprocket cover, remove the circlip and washer from the shift shaft, then pull the shift shaft out from the right side of the engine.
Then the end of the shift drum is exposed.

The larger roller is usually the culprit, it gets loose and wobbly on its "axle".

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Could be the other stopper (part#16), worn pins, or several other possibilities....#11 is the most likely.... Only a "tear-into" will tell you exactly what you'll need...It can be done with the engine in the bike IF that's what's wrong, but it's a PITA.....

Bill got to the answer first, and HE is the resident 450 EXPERT.... As he said, the part is difficult to obtain, so find/obtain one first....

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
man, i wish one or both of you were closer! if for nothing else then to stand over my shoulder while i attempt to dig in and check this out. i guess i'll try and keep you both posted.

thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
uhohferris said:
man, i wish one or both of you were closer! if for nothing else then to stand over my shoulder while i attempt to dig in and check this out. i guess i'll try and keep you both posted.

thanks.
Change your profile to reflect where you are at and maybe there is someone around that can help.

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
66Sprint said:
Could be the other stopper (part#16), worn pins, or several other possibilities....#11 is the most likely.... Only a "tear-into" will tell you exactly what you'll need...It can be done with the engine in the bike IF that's what's wrong, but it's a PITA.....

Bill got to the answer first, and HE is the resident 450 EXPERT.... As he said, the part is difficult to obtain, so find/obtain one first....
Or you can rebuild the one you have if you (or a friend) have some tools.

Near the bottom of the page is what you can expect to see

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=639&start=150

and here is a description of one way to fix the problem. My bike shifts like new since doing this fix.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=639&start=240

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
your right mike, i should of updated that ages ago. done. "calling all jersey 450 mechanics!!!"

1 - 11 of 11 Posts