Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’m in the middle of bringing this abandoned CB450 back to life, going through everything and making it into a brat bike. Finished rebuilding 500T carbs and welding rear frame loop.

The chain is totally enclustered with goop, I ordered a new 530H standard chain, 100 links which I will cut down to size.

I counted the chain links as 94. I know oem is 92... So, I’m assuming that whoever had this before put on a longer chain

So my question is, why would someone need to install a longer chain? Did someone put on non-oem sprocket size?

·
Administrator
12,942 Posts
Stock sprockets are 15/35 on the DOHC 450, someone could have put a 16 on the front to lower the revs on the highway. You're going to pull the front sprocket cover and look at the sprocket anyway... right?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes indeed, I’ll pull the cover and count the teeth on the front sprocket.

So putting on a 16T front sprocket requires two extra links?

·
Administrator
12,942 Posts
Depends, but since you can't add just one link (properly) then yes. If the chain was worn when they did it they might have been able to change to the 16 with the extra forward movement available at the chain adjusters, but if the chain is in good shape it probably need to be longer

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good call! The front is a 16T indeed. I’ll get a stock 15T for it.

Also, the CL450 came with slightly different sprockets, ya? Did it have a 36T or 37T rear?

·
Administrator
12,942 Posts
IME, the CB and CL had the same gearing - my CL450K5 is 15/35, just like the CB. Remember, it was only Honda who was delusional enough to make the statement "Is it a street bike or a dirt bike? You decide!"... yeah, in high school I had a CL450K4 and took it off road one time... and that was enough. 425 lbs of wallowing beast, all over the place!

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
^^^ THIS
Which is why I really crack up when I see people putting trial tires on these bikes LOL Like who are you kidding?

·
Administrator
12,942 Posts
Yes! That's it... what a joke! And by then, the bike sounded more like a weenie than ever in its history... big ol' tank. At least for "off road" use... maybe well-packed fire trails :ROFLMAO:
Thanks Perry, I'm gonna steal that one (y)

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
^^^ THIS
Which is why I really crack up when I see people putting trial tires on these bikes LOL Like who are you kidding?
What makes Me wonder are these "cafe racer" types who mount off-road knobby tires on their creations, complete with clip on bars, no fenders and a skateboard seat. What the hell?, build a pavement scratcher pseudo racer thing and then mount the absolute worst kind of tires for pavement use?

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
That's the trend these days. Most of these guys haven't a clue what they are doing or why they are doing it. Simply that they want to look cool just like the other hundred of their pals.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Well, to be fair (even to the cafe racer types), none of us had any idea of what we were doing when we popped out of the womb... we just tried to look cool doing what we were doing, while learning/figuring things out. Is there any other way?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A few questions putting the new sprocket in... The middle spacer thing popped out when I sprayed cleaner in there, and I didn’t see which way it goes back in.

Does it go in metal side out (first photo) or rubber side out (second photo)?

(I’m thinking metal side out)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Also, when I’m putting the sprocket fix plate back on, the holes aren’t aligning with the sprocket if I push the sprocket all the way in.

Is the sprocket supposed to be pressed in all the way? Or is it supposed to be pulled out just a tad, to be able to adjust it and align with the fix plate?

·
Administrator
12,942 Posts
Okay, I just two-finger typed a paragraph explaining what the little thingy might be and then you show me the part it goes with that I was trying to describe! That inner piece goes with the other thing you just screwed back into the shaft, it's the old school chain oiler

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Okay awesome, thanks!

I took a photo for good measure after buttoning it all up. The locking tabs didn’t line up perfectly onto the built, and I didn’t want to over-torque it to try to make it align more flush.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts