Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So. my cm450 always felt a little high up the rev range on the freeway for my liking.
I took her on a 300 mile trip and I felt the need for more top end.
Struggling on the hills to keep up with cars.
while I got her apart might as well change things up.

my question is.
I have currently a stock gear ratio.
I have to replace my chain.
what is the best re-gear I can do?
I just want a slight change to get more top end.

What should I buy ?

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
but from what I am guessing. Amount of teeth must effect the type of chain you can run. and thats the bit I need help with.
I double checked. What I have right now is 17/40

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
I would suggest an 18/40. This will give just a little more top end, and it should still accelerate well. You will need a longer chain, probably 2-3 links longer.
TOOLS

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tools, any idea what that will do rpm wise at 65 ? 400rpm ? Or do I need more of a change for that Amount

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Since I do not know the transmission gear ratios, or wheel diameter, I could not even guess about the RPM change. However you only have a 450cc bike. It would not take much to overgear it to where you would be downshifting all the time to keep up in traffic. However if you want, you could try 18/43 18/45 or 17/45 and gear back down if you end up downshifting a lot.
TOOLS

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Stock is 17/34. I would go back to stock and that should correct the problem.
At 4500 rpm stock in 6th gear you should be at @66 mph. Your current setup at 4500 rpm in 6th gear is @56 mph.
You can play with the gearing and tire sizing on this site. Gearing Commander ⚙ The CM and CB 400/450 gearing, sprocket, tire size numbers are correct.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Stock is 17/34. I would go back to stock and that should correct the problem.
At 4500 rpm stock in 6th gear you should be at @66 mph. Your current setup at 4500 rpm in 6th gear is @56 mph.
You can play with the gearing and tire sizing on this site. Gearing Commander âš™ The CM and CB 400/450 gearing, sprocket, tire size numbers are correct.
that makes a lot of sense. I thought it was stock. but I guess not.
I have wondered why it felt very quick for stock gearing. and it seriously felt like 6-7k at 70mph. and I bet it was.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts