Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 358 Posts

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Wild CB450 Craigslist find!!!

I think I'm just gonna make this my craigslist thread for occasional odd finds, and bikes that I rarely see. But you'll have to trust me and click the craigslist link to know what it is. I think that'll keep it interesting. ;)

I hope no one minds, including you mods out there in mod-land...... :D

Todays find: http://evansville.craigslist.org/mcy/905299129.html

Discuss.

GB :mrgreen:

·
Sensei
27,171 Posts
Re: GB's Craigslist thread for odd/rare finds :mrgreen:

GB...I'd love to have that old clunker, but it's too far away to "run-by" and look at it, and $600 is about six times what I'll spend for a non-running bike, although I might meet him halfways if the paperwork is good. I'm sure it's worth what he's asking, I just can't afford it....LOL.... ( At least not after driving about 650 miles each way just to go get it )....Steve

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

All in all it looks to be a mostly complete bike. It looks like it'd be a worthy restoration project. Just not for me..

I found some cb750 sandcast parts yesterday that the owner did'nt know anything about obviously, but the email address he put into craigslist was wrong, so I could'nt reach him. :(

I'll be updating this thread often with other "interesting" finds, all radiating out from the central Il area. I'll try to stick with the Honda twins though......

·
Registered
65 Posts

does that shock work properly in that position? can I do that on my 750 but with both side shocks (as long as there is chain clearance of course)?

I like the look and would like to do that if it will function ok.

,Dustin

·
Registered
1,431 Posts

the more angle the less effective spring rate.

Angle: 10 15 20 25 30 35 40 45
Spring Rate Ratio: .96 .93 .88 .82 .75 .66 .59 .50

Multiply your desired spring rate (Say 100?) x Ratio of Angle (say 10 degrees) .96 = 100 x .96 = 96. Use a spring rate of 96 to achieve the same as a 100 spring rate at a 10 degree angle.

·
Sensei
27,171 Posts

Don't forget to factor in the changes to lever lengths ( positions on the swingarm from pivot to both axle and shock bottom), and "class" of lever.......as well as angular changes.....
For example, let's say your shocks were vertical (100%) and 18 inches back from the pivot..... You move them to halfway back the swingarm (9 inches) and tilt them to 45 degrees (50%) to get good mounts..... To duplicate the original spring-rate/strength/stiffness you now need shocks that are FOUR times as stiff....

To use a single shock to replace your original pair, would require one that is EIGHT times as stiff (eight times the spring rate....)... Not to mention require "stiffing/strengthening of the swing arm itself (the additional weight of which will have to be factored into the moving couple) requireing an even stiffer spring (which will be larger and heavier,and itself require stiffening at its mounts, which add more weight to the couple... etc ad naseum)

·
Registered
1,431 Posts

there's definitely an art to that stuff.

i only know enough to be dangerous.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Now that I see it again, that tank is like WOW!!! :shock: Space age!! :lol:

I like the exhaust though..

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: GB's Craigslist thread for odd/rare finds..

You just knew that'd tempt me, did'nt you????!!! :p I like the bellypan idea. Seems like it'd help cool the 2-1 exhaust and crankcase as well. My Hooker runs really close to the lower crankcase, and it's almost N.O.S. so I know it's not bent or anything cooky..

I believe I've seen that bike on Ebay, cuz I MISS NO CB450 Ebay auction. :lol:

·
Registered
101 Posts

Hey G!
Did you say belly pan? Check out Viscious Cycles out of Portland - they make alot of custom stuff.
Tom

·
Registered
1,006 Posts

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

bill440cars said:
Wouldn't have a wife! :roll: :D ;)
Too funny Bill!! Makes me glad I have'nt gotten married. Hell, I can't keep em around long enough for that. :lol:

1 - 20 of 358 Posts