Honda Twins banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to figure out how these gauges go back. It's been a few years since I took them off... Here are the pieces I have. I'm done saying "I'm sure these all came off the same bike" because I've screwed up enough stuff that way...However, I'm pretty damn certain all these pieces were once mounted on the same bike. It's apparent that the round bracket attaches to the top bolts on the forks. However, the bracket attached to the back of the gauges LOOKS like it goes with the "other" style of top tree, the later one that has 2 holes for those 2 posts to go into. HOWEVER, I have one of those top trees and the posts on these gauges are NOT spaced properly to fit that tree. What am I missing here??? Any guidance is greatly appreciated!

guages.jpg

·
Sensei
27,018 Posts
Gauges go into cups, cups and bracket mount under fork top bolts......Looks like you are missing the bolt cushions, spacers, washers, and nuts that hold the meters in the cups....

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Steve. I just realized how bad the attached pictures suck. I'm attaching a better image of the back of the gauges...the circled post doesn't seem to align with anything on the bracket!

gauges.jpg

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why are they so doggone small!!??? Hopefully this is a larger version of the same image...

gauges2.jpg

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hahaha Now I'm more confused than ever! I just went through old photos. The bracket/cups were attached to the bike when I bought it, but there were no meters. Now I'm wondering where in the hell I got these meters! Bike #2 came without a front end at all, bike #3 had a tach only, which is still attached, and it's the later variety. I'm wondering if someone along the line didn't "throw in" this pair of gauges loose and I forgot about it. Ok. Back to the drawing board I guess.

·
Sensei
27,018 Posts
Try THIS..... Take cups off large bracket..... Install small bracket in those holes (might be functional at least)....

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I have to go the other way and take the meters off the small bracket and figure out how to get them onto the cups and their current bracket...that's the bracket that fits my top tree.

·
Sensei
27,018 Posts
Wont fit the cups....offset of meter bolts not correct for those cups....

1970...meter bolts in line with cable spigot........Those are later/newer meters

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ugh. I'm going to start indiscriminately cutting things and drilling holes in things until I have something that will hold these gauges to this bike.

·
Sensei
27,018 Posts
Try the small bracket bolts in the cup bolt holes.....remove cups of course....
Won't be quite as pretty, but will be functional....

·
Premium Member
2,000 Posts
You have early forks without pinch bolts on 1970, clocks are probably for a 73? Clocks will fit but need different brackets. You may be able to just dismantle the stuff you have to make it all work

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have to admit a point of ignorance that has been exposed through this thread; I didn't realize that the thing holding together the two gauges I have was, in fact, a mounting bracket. Now that I understand what I'm looking at a little better, I'm a little more hopeful that I can arrive at some kind of solution. Also, I'm building a race bike here...I don't care about a speedometer, I don't care if it's pretty, and I don't care if it's "stock." With that knowledge, do either of you gentlemen have an guidance as to my best bet in affixing that tachometer to my handlebars!?

·
Premium Member
2,000 Posts
Unless bike is just about finished and running, tach mount is one of the last things to do. You need to set it so you can see it when your 'in a tuck'.(you should be 'too busy' to look when cornering or 'in the pack') It may well need moving forwards and being tilted, stock position is more suited to stock bars .I would get an electronic tach, even a cheap one from China will probably be more accurate than stock? Or,get a piece of 1/8" alloy plate or angle as it's easier to cut and bend than steel.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts